Wednesday 20 July 2022

Fly, My Pretties!

 Adding a bit more air supremacy to my Thousand Sons - Tzaangor Enlightened!

Tzaangor Enlightened for Warhammer 40k and Warhammer Age of Sigmar.

I've had these Tzaangor on Discs for a while now (the number of Tzaangor I've painted is reaching a half-century, so I was in no hurry to do more), so these were painted up to add a few more bodies to my aerial battle in The Silver Cage.

Tzaangor Enlightened for Warhammer 40k and Warhammer Age of Sigmar.

Having forced myself to knuckle down and paint them, I did find them quite enjoyable. I took a short-cut with the Discs by basing them in Retributor Armour gold and then filling in the colour with Contrast paints (I'd previously learned that the Discs need the most attention, but catch the eye the least, so any short-cut is good).

Tzaangor Enlightened for Warhammer 40k and Warhammer Age of Sigmar.

I stuck to the tried-and-test paint recipe for the Tzaangor, with the exception of the skin. My archer Enlightened are pink, so I thought to make these blue (but a darker blue than the infantry Tzaangor) - now it's all done, I can't see much difference, so maybe I should have gone darker.

  • Skin: Kantor Blue base, Drakenhof Nightshade wash, Lothern Blue drybrush
  • Horns, hooves and claws: Zandri dust base, Agrax Earthshade wash, Zandri dust drybrush
  • Claws and beaks: Averland Sunset base (wet-blended), Agrax Earthshade wash
  • Feathers: Calgar Blue base, Drakenhof Nightshade wash, Lothern Blue drybrush
  • Dreadlock/tentacles: Druchii Violet wash,
  • Cloth kilts: Screamer Pink base, Nuln Oil wash, Khone Red layers
  • Armour and shields: Retributor Armour base, Reikland Flesh wash, Golden Griffon drybrush, Ahriman Blue layer
  • Spears: Celestra Grey base, Hexwraith Flame wash, Nihilakh Oxide wash
  • Weapon hafts: Charcoal Grey base, Celestial Grey drybrush
  • Tongues: Pink Horror

Tzaangor Enlightened for Warhammer 40k and Warhammer Age of Sigmar.

Even after mixing and matching with the bow variants, I was also running out of poses for these Tzaangor, though I managed to get a rather 'cavalier skateboard' stance with one hand stretched out for balance.

I'm looking forward to trying these out in a proper battle (the Army of Renown 'Warpmeld Pact' seems a good shout, since that's an all-Tzaangor force). They're far more fragile than Rubrics, but a lot more mobile.

Tzaangor Enlightened for Warhammer 40k and Warhammer Age of Sigmar.

Although I also like the idea for which they were originally painted - anti-flyer units. Aircraft don't usually perform well in melee, so having a swarm of these ready to mug the first Valkyrie that pops out of the clouds seems fun.

Tzaangor Enlightened for Warhammer 40k and Warhammer Age of Sigmar.

And to round of the airborne theme, I added a ninth member to The Court of Miracles - Kassapati! 

He's an Infernal Master equipped with the Aetherstride trait (manifested here as some wing mutations from the ever-reliable Possessed kit). This will let him keep pace with the other flyers and sow some havoc with his infernal pacts up in the stratosphere.

Thousand Sons Sorcerer conversion

And with that, I may actually be running out of Thousand Sons units to paint! 

Tzaangor Enlightened for Warhammer 40k and Warhammer Age of Sigmar.

Next up: something completely different.

No comments:

Post a Comment