Wednesday 13 July 2022

Weekend at Burnie's 3 - Round 2 - Chaos Space Marines vs Imperial Guard

 Second game of Weekend at Burnie's 3!

Warhammer 40k battle report between Chaos Space Marines and Imperial Guard. 1750pts

The deeper you go, the darker it gets...

Fresh from their defeat at the hands of Craftworld Ulthwé, Tzeletor and his band of minions went in search of easier prey - as fellow 8th Editon no-hopers, surely the Imperial Guard wouldn't put up much of a fight?

The Evil Warriors - Chaos Space Marines

Warhammer 40k battle report between Chaos Space Marines and Craftworld Eldar. 1750pts

Renegade Chapters - Vanguard Detachment

  • Tzeletor - Master of Possession (HQ) (Warlord)
    Bolt pistol Force stave, Frag & Krak grenades
    Warlord: Exalted Champion
    Psychic powers: Cursed Earth, Possession
  • Psi-Klops - Chaos Lord (HQ)
    Power sword, Bolt pistol, Frag & Krak grenades
    Relic: The Murder Sword
  • Brazen Beast-Man - 8 x Khorne Berzerkers (Elite)
    2 x Lightning Claw, 7 x Bolt Pistols, 4 x Chainaxes, 3 x Chainswords, Frag & Krak grenades, Icon of Wrath
  • Myphitic Mer-Man - 7 x Plague Marines (Elite)
    Plaguesword, Power fist, 4 x Boltguns, 1 x Blight launcher, 1 x Flail of corruption, Blight & Krak grenades, Icon of Despair
  • Evil Lynnquisitor - 9 x Rubric Marines (Elite)
    Force stave, Inferno Bolt Pistol, 4 x Inferno boltgun, 4x Warpflamer, Icon of Flame
  • Clawful - Greater Possessed (Elite)
    Daemonic mutations
  • 7 x Possessed (Elite)
    7 x Horrifying Mutations
  • Spawnlash - Chaos Spawn (Fast)
    (held in reinforcement points)
  • Trap-Jawsmith - 3 x Obliterators (Heavy)
    Crushing fists, Fleshmetal guns, Mark of Slaanesh
  • Chaos Land Raider (Heavy)
    2 x Twin lascannon, Twin heavy bolter, Combi-flamer, Havoc launcher
  • Greyskull - Bastion (Fortification)
    4 x Heavy bolter, Icarus Lascannon
Points: 1750 | Level: 91 | Battle-forged - Vanguard - Fortification Network: 8 CPs

Game 2: Imperial Guard

My opponent was Sam, who had themed his army into a force of mechanised infantry. Three squads inside Chimeras, a couple of Leman Russ Demolishers and a Hydra for fire support, with the main attraction being a monstrous Gorgon transport crammed with Bullgryns and associated command staff.

A note on the images: Weekend at Burnies 3 was a packed event (80 or so attendees) and, big as the Factorum is, a few tables had to overspill into an area I would affectionately call The Cupboard Under the Stairs. If I'd known, I'd have brought my painting headlamp.

We played lengthways along the table, with my setting up my infantry behind cover or inside the Land Raider/Bastion in the hope they'd live long enough to get to grips with the enemy.

The Guard took the first turn, raced their Chimera onto the objectives and destroyed Greyskull Bastion with Demolishers (there was an army trait that gave the guns extra range, so even the multi-meltas got in on the action). No hiding place for me then.

Warhammer 40k battle report between Chaos Space Marines and Imperial Guard. 1750pts

In my turn, the recently disembarked Obliterators tried to return fire, but even with Endless Cacophony giving me a second chance (and Veterans of the Long War not available to me, as I was a lowly renegade), I couldn't even dent a tank. The Land Raider similarly whiffed with its lascannons - it wasn't the best response in the artillery duel!

Warhammer 40k battle report between Chaos Space Marines and Imperial Guard. 1750pts

Seeking more direct action, my infantry squads moved forward (clinging to cover wherever they could) and the Berzerkers (taking advantage of the advance and charge - there are some advantages to being a lowly renegade) managed to tag both Leman Russes and the Chimera. I didn't fancy their chances of surviving the next round, but I may have spared my Land Raider.

Warhammer 40k battle report between Chaos Space Marines and Imperial Guard. 1750pts

Sadly, the Guard proved they had firepower to spare, and in their turn wiped out my Berzerkers with one tank, freeing up the others to wipe out my Land Raider and Obliterators (although after their performance, I wouldn't put them high on the threat register).

Warhammer 40k battle report between Chaos Space Marines and Imperial Guard. 1750pts

My forces were getting whittled down considerably, but I still had Tzeletor, Psi-Klops, Clawful, all the Possessed and the Plague Marines, and with a superheavy Gorgon right in front of me, I couldn't resist the challenge!

Warhammer 40k battle report between Chaos Space Marines and Imperial Guard. 1750pts

After a round or two of thumping on the sides, my forces finally managed to tear the Gorgon apart!

Warhammer 40k battle report between Chaos Space Marines and Imperial Guard. 1750pts

Let's call that a moral victory, because the dozen Bullgryns that spilled out of the insides promptly made mincemeat of my remaining troops.

Warhammer 40k battle report between Chaos Space Marines and Imperial Guard. 1750pts

Twilight fell as I was cleared from the board - a total victory for the Imperial Guard!

A bloody game and, in fairness, a bit of a mismatch between my collection of misfits and a very solid Imperial Guard list. Even with one of my more competitive hats on, I think I would have had quite a contest to overcome the combination of firepower and a backbone of transports.

But I had fun and took down a Gorgon - on to the next battle!

2 comments:

  1. Ooh a lengthway fight of artillery vs melee. Ouch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meltas to the left of them, meltas to the right of them...

      Delete