Monday 7 October 2019

And Now ... The Purge!

It's not what you think!

Chaos Space Marines renegade chapter - The Purge - Chosen with combi-bolter

Unless you think I've started another heretic astartes army, in which case, it's exactly what you think.

I blame the new Chaos Space Marines kit for this. It's so good, I had to get my paint-stained hands on it. I also wanted to try out some of the new rules and colours for the renegade chapters, so painting them up for a small Vanguard detachment seemed a good way to scratch that itch.

Chaos Space Marines renegade chapter - The Purge - Chosen with combi-bolter

Since they're so much bigger and beefier than my original marines (bless 'em), I thought they'd make good Chosen. These seem not a bad unit at all - they're only 1pt more than regular marines, but they get an extra attack - and free chainswords!

They can also take pretty much whatever weapons you like (if anyone remembers the bizarre cornucopia of the Dark Vengeance set). I went with combi-bolters, so with bolter discipline and hateful assault, these guys can be both shooty and choppy at a reasonable price.

The combi-bolters themselves are made by just slapping together a couple of bolt guns and/or bolt pistols. Which is probably how it's done in the Eye of Terror manufactorums.


Chaos Space Marines renegade chapter - The Purge - Chosen with combi-bolter

Having been so parsimonious with the weapon choices, I splashed out on a thunder hammer (a space Stormcast one) for the champion. Expensive, and unlikely to see action, but with four attacks in the first round of combat, he'll packs quite a punch for a unit leader.

Chaos Space Marines renegade chapter - The Purge - Thunder Hammer conversion

The other reason why I went with the volume of attacks from combi-bolters and chainswords is because The Purge's trait allows them to re-roll attacks on enemy units that have already suffered a wound that turn.

And nothing says volume of fire like a reaper chaincannon, baby!

Chaos Space Marines renegade chapter - The Purge - Reaper Chaincannon conversion

Of course, the only actual chaincannon piece is rarer than hen's teeth, so I went with a conversion of a heavy bolter and the muzzle of a Taurox Gatling Cannon (kindly provided by Kraken, so often the instrument of his own destruction).

Chaos Space Marines renegade chapter - The Purge - Helbrute with scourge

For the second Elite slot, a Helbrute. This was an eBay rescue, so aside from switching the lascannons for a scourge, I can't claim any of these awesome conversion bits (I assume someone sent a loyalist dreadnought model through a warpstorm).

The poor maligned Helbrutes don't seem to be terrible popular these days, but they still make good distraction Carnifexes - with the amount of attacks this guys kicks out (plus rerolls, because he benefits from the Renegade Trait), you really can't let him get among your lines.

Chaos Space Marines renegade chapter - The Purge - Plague Marine champion

One more elite slot needed, so I dug around my unpainted pile of Death Guard and drafted in some Plague Marines.

Chaos Space Marines renegade chapter - The Purge - Plague Marine with flail of corruption conversion

Same principle as before - maximise those attacks, so I can benefit from those rerolls, To that end, I went all-melee with these guys and gave two of them the dreaded flails of corruption.

More kitbashing to make these a reality: the one-handed flail was another contribution from Kraken's Age of Sigmar Nurgle guys.

The double-handed flail was a Chaos Knight (the horseman, not the stompy robot) lance with the chains from a Rhino hanging off it. I wasn't a fan of the goggle-eyed helmet at first, but now I honestly love it.

Chaos Space Marines renegade chapter - The Purge - Plague Marine with flail of corruption conversion
Epic flail

The other two squad members are there to soak wounds (I'm told Plague Marines can take a lot of soaking), although with the extra attacks from their plague knives, they're not to be sniffed at either.

Chaos Space Marines renegade chapter - The Purge - Plague Marine with plague knives

The painting scheme for the whole of The Purge was really simple (note to self: this is not a rationale for painting any more of them!).

I was going for the complete opposite of my usual gold-edged armour, so this was all muted and dull colours (and I don't even have to pick out the metal trim - the painting guide said so!)

  • Black Armour: Chaos Black base, Terminatus Stone drybrush, Nuln Oil wash 
  • Green Armour: Waaagh! Flesh base, Reikland Flesh wash, Elysian Green drybrush, Nurgling Green drybrush
  • Cloth: Skragg Brown base, Agrax Earthshade wash, Jokaero Orange highlights
  • Tentacles: Bugman's Glow base, Nazdreg Yellow contrast
  • Horns: Zandri Dust base, Nazdreg Yellow contrast
  • Eye lenses: Ulthun Grey base, Hexwraith / Waystone Green technical
  • Weapons, Ironbreaker base, Typhus Corrosion technical, Ryza Rust drybrush


Chaos Space Marines renegade chapter - The Purge - Plague Marine with plague knives

For that all-important HQ slot, I went with a Terminator Sorcerer. I think access to mortal wounds is going to be useful to get the ball rolling with the renegade trait, and I had this fella all ready for a conversion.

This is the Knight-Incantor from the 'Getting Started in Age of Sigmar' book. At a fiver for the lot, it was too good a bargain not to do something with.

He gets a terminator backpack, and that 'iron halo' behind him. A combi-melta and pauldrons from the Blightlord Terminators (such a good kit). Sadly, sorcerers can't take power fists, so the golden glove is just my own whimsy.

Stormcast Eternals Knight-Incantor conversion to Chaos Terminator Sorcerer
Go for the head.

So that's The Purge all done! I have enough generic Chaos units to bulk them up into a small army, so watch out for them rinsing all life in a galaxy near you!

Chaos Space Marines renegade chapter - The Purge


18 comments:

  1. Oh dear, the hobby butterfly flutters onto a new project ;) Looking good, I like the darker green palette and the 'First Strike' Plague Marine conversions. Disgusting and Resilient

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always saw myself as a Very Hungry Caterpillar ... but yes, hobby butterfly works too! :D

      Delete
  2. My chapter trait is self-harm. Goddamn chaincannons.

    That sorcerer - he's not just snapping his fingers in order to purge a pre-determined amount of life from the Galaxy, is he?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ironically, my chapter stratagem is also self-harm, so I look forward to chaincannoning friend and foe alike.

      The Sorcerer is on a blessed mission to wipe out all life from the galaxy. Just erasing half of everything is for amateurs.

      Delete
    2. Well, 'all' is a pre-determined amount, of course.

      Delete
  3. I like the look of these Purge guys, both conceptually and your painting! I've got a few (obviously still) unpainted support troops for my Death Guard, but adding to this with more traditional CSM troops could be quite interesting. However I don't (currently) plan to pollute my army with non-Nurgle troops...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In many ways, it's a shame that Death Guard can't have Nurgle-marked CSM as a troop option.

      Without any heavy weapons, their Relentess Advance is a bit redundant for everyone but Helbrutes.

      Delete
    2. Blightlord Terminators like it for Reaper Autocannon as well, and the Rapid Fire part is nice for everyone.

      I do miss my Relentless DG Havocs from the late 7th Ed supplement, tho.

      Delete
    3. Yes, I'd forgotten about the Autocannon - I just put Blight Launchers on my Terminators and recycled everything else.

      Delete
  4. Now we need a band of Slaaneshi Renegades called The Binge to go with them!

    And yeah, I'm pretty sure Combi-Bolters are, really, just two Bolters plus some duct tape/baling wire/chewing gum XD

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Purge was my very first army. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Inspired me to add a purge detachment to my chaos army :D They look brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great - I loved doing the colour scheme. Can't wait until I get around to adding more!

      Delete