Monday 18 July 2022

Big Spawn

 Some beasties I painted a while ago... definitely under the 'Miscellaneous' category.

The Hungering Darkness for Malifaux

With so many Chaos Spawn in my collection, adding a Giant Chaos Spawn was inevitable (even if, inexplicably, they're part of the Daemon codex and not daemonic).

Rather than the official model, I went with The Hungering Darkness model from Malifaux. It's a mess of nightmarish tentacles and flesh, so it works pretty well.

The Hungering Darkness for Malifaux

The only drawback was the inner face, which reminded me of an Area-51 alien face, so I shoved in a spare Pink Horror head to add some Tzeentch. Painting was simple enough: base coat of Rakarth Flesh, Carroberg Crimson wash, Rakarth Flesh and Pallyd Wych Flesh drybrush, Then wash the tentacles in Druchii Violet and add the teeth and spines.

The Hungering Darkness for Malifaux

On the field, it behaves ... like a giant chaos spawn. Same random attacks, only more of them. It's not terribly formidable (although if you could run them in packs of five...), but the look of it does draw a lot of attention. Unfortunately, being one of the only things in the army without an invulnerable save doesn't bode well for a long life.

On the classier end of the monster scale - The Mindstealer Sphiranx!

Mindstealer Sphiranx for Warhammer.

I had visions of adding feathered wings to this, just like a classical sphinx, but I was never going to compare with the one done by Warhammer's legendary Louise Sugden and the model had been sitting on my shelf for so long, I just decided to paint it up and enjoy myself.

Mindstealer Sphiranx for Warhammer.

It was nice having a try a wet blending again - from Genestealer Purple to Kantor Blue to Pink Horror - and then highlight everything with drybrushing. Nice and quick to get done for a fairly decent effect.

I've run this moggy as a Daemon Prince for my Tzeentch Daemons, although I suppose if I ever give Age of Sigmar another bash, he'll find a place in my armies.

Chaos Spawn for Warhammer.

And speaking of Spawn, here's another for the collection! It came as a bonus when I was picking up a few Helbrutes years ago (I like that I have become a rescue sanctuary for unwanted Spawn). The base colours were there, so it just needed some touching-up, a bit of blending and a really creepy eyeball.

On to the next batch!

2 comments:

  1. That Malifaux model is fantastic! They have some very nice stuff, but I hadn't seen that one before. Great pick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! As soon as I saw it, I knew it had to be mine.

      Delete