Tuesday 2 April 2019

EXT: Old Ben's Export and Tattoo Parlour


Aw, rats. April, and it's still Terrain Month.
First things first, which is finishing off the commission work. Stylus will be taking receipt of this splendid trio of buildings. Two of them are from TTCombat's Sandstorm collection, and I think they're excellent.


Solid line of sight blockers, they cost around ten pounds each. The small one takes about fifteen minutes to build, not including the dome (see below), the big one is a good two-three hour job consisting of about 150 fiddly components but looks really nice once done.


Same paint job as the last lot, grainy gel paint and a mid-brown up to white paint range, with contrasting black tech bits and bronze domes. The domes are, alas, made of much thinner card, and are prone to bending and damage! It's hard to stretch them over the MDF skeleton that's underneath without them tearing, and even harder to slot the tiny slats into the roofs of the buildings. Not impossible, though, and they've been strengthened by extra coats of PVA glue and all the paint and varnish. 

The last building is the Watchtower from the Utopia range, which I've done before for the jungle kit. Tall, great sniping LOS and a few nice bits of bonus scatter with the kit. Although those oil drums are one of the worst bits to construct in the entire range, a really tight squeeze with thin and easily snapped components. Don't like them, even if they look good once done!



Nice and sunny here today, so some properly external shots of this little community huddled in the sun!

Now that this is all finished, I can get back to my own stuff. Starting with Jungle posts, which I keep promising and not delivering, and then what promises to be a gruelling slog though an awful lot of bulkheads.

Yeah, can't wait to paint the warning stripes on the edges of all this...

7 comments:

  1. That looks properly awesome! Thanks so much, and I can't wait to get them in action.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bring your mat to the 'boot and you could get some early fights in with them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking great! I think I'd be tempted to put a layer of wood filler over the domes, both to smooth them out and to give them a little more support. But on the other hand, the paneled look is pretty cool, too.

    That Watchtower is pretty great as well. I didn't realize until that final group shot just how big it is. Figured at first glance that it was something like half to two thirds the size it actually is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you put the wood filler under the domes as a support later, that would also work very well. I know the real houses these are modelled on have stone domes, not metal (the heat!) But it does look good.

      Yeah, the tower is big! Nearly a foot tall, it dominates my table at home.

      Delete
    2. I love how the domes came out - reminds me of every European city break I've ever had.
      I like how these two building materials wouldn't 'logically' fit together in our world - adds to the alien-ness of it.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Mike - I can't wait to get these on the table!

      Delete