Thursday 25 April 2019

Top Dogs

Have they gone? Is it safe?

Primaris Space Wolves Wolf Lord conversion

Right, let's crack on before the Assassins get back.

Before I was so rudely interrupted, I was posting the completed HQs for my Space Wolves army.

I really shouldn't have left these models until last, since they require the most attention and my army wasn't going to be legal without them.

Still, nothing that a 3am shift on a Bank Holiday Monday can't fix!

Primaris Space Wolves Wolf Lord conversion

To start with the Wolf Lord (re: Space Marines Captain) - both the most basic, and the most customised, of my command characters.

The conversion dates back to my first daubings with the Space Wolves - before I realised I was going to commit to them full-tilt (why did I ever think that?). I just bashed together an HQ unit from the Easy-to-Build Intercessor Sergeant, Chaos Warrior cloak and sword, and Berzerker Champion head (that's a lot of Chaos - but it has fangs!)

Primaris Space Wolves Wolf Lord conversion

In lieu of an Iron Halo, this gent gets his invulnerable save from the talisman necklace that came with the Primaris upgrade sprue (the only talisman in the sprue - gee, I'm sure glad we had eight shoulder pads taking up space here).

He's clearly a grumpy old greyback, and leaves the fighting to the younger pups.

Haldor Icepelt - Primaris Space Wolves Battle Leader

Which brings us to the Battle Leader (Lieutenant) - the only Primaris character specifically sculpted for the Space Wolves (and currently out of production, now the Tooth & Claw boxset is off the shelves).

He's in a bit of a funny pose to catch his best side, but at least there's plenty of dynamism in there - this guy is clearly not hanging around the back, giving wound rerolls to the Hellblasters.

Haldor Icepelt - Primaris Space Wolves Battle Leader

Though he's actually a named character 'Haldor Icepelt' (who, as we have definitely proved, knows bugger all about stopping Genestealer incursions), but I avoided his grey hair and went for something younger, to separate him from the elderly geezers in charge.

Primaris Librarian as Space Wolves Rune Priest.

Which brings us to the Rune Priest. Probably the least overtly 'wolfy' of my characters, since I painted up the Primaris Librarian without so much as a head swap. No excuses, I just love the sculpt. Also, he has a wee beard, so that's his ticket into the Vlka Fenryka in my book.

I didn't know what his robes were supposed to look like (just more shades of grey seemed dull), so I went full Obi-Wan on him.

Primaris Librarian as Space Wolves Rune Priest.

Given my usual choice of army, I'd feel naked going into battle without a psyker. While I'm not expecting Thousand Sons-level shenanigans from him, there does seem to be some good utility in the Tempestas Discipline (better, perhaps, than the Librarius one).

But more interestingly, the very presence of a Rune Priest on the field allows access to a couple of solid stratagems, which is definitely an advantage over your standard Librarian.

Primaris Librarian as Space Wolves Rune Priest.

Same paint scheme as the rest of my army, except of course these three chaps need facial distinctions, power/force weapon lighting, freehand runes, and wet blending. All of which I excel at three o'clock in the morning:
  • Armour: The Fang base, Agrax Earthshade wash, Russ Grey drybrush, Fenrisian Grey drybrush
  • Yellow pauldron: Averland Sunset base, Cassandora Yellow wash, Yriel Yellow drybrush
  • Red pauldron: Mephiston Red base, Agrax Earthshade wash, Evil Sunz Scarlet drybrush
  • Imperial Aquila: Retributor Armour base, Reikland Flashshade wash, Golden Griffon drybrush
  • Belt buckle, helmet coils and gun parts: Ironbreaker base, Nuln Oil wash
  • Gun frame: Chaos Black
  • Eye Lens: Evil Sunz Scarlet
  • Belts and holsters: XV-88 base, Agrax Earthshade wash
  • Talismans and bolter shells: Hashut Copper, Agrax Earthshade wash
  • Wolf Lord cloak: Celestra Grey highlights
  • Battle Leader hair: Wazdakka Red base, Agrax Earthshade wash, Skrag Brown highlights
  • Rune Priest robes: Karak Stone base, Bleached Bone highlights / Rhinox Hide base, Mournfang Brown highlights, Agrax Earthshade wash
  • Power Weapons: Ironbraker base, Nuln Oil wash, Ulthuan Grey highlights, Gulliman Blue glaze, Ulthuan Grey highlights,
  • Force Sword: Ironbraker base, Drakenhof Nightshade wash, Ulthuan Grey highlights, Hexwraith Glow glaze, Ulthuan Grey highlights,
  • Base: Vajello Earth Texture, Agrax Earthshade wash, Mounfang Brown lip

Primaris Space Wolves Wolf Lord, Battle Leader and Rune Priest.

And because I didn't have enough to do, I ripped off the Intercessor Pack Leader's (Sergeant) chainsword and magnetised a Warp Talon arm to look like a particularly 'Wolverine' power fist (actually X-23, counting the claws).

I'm a big fan of power fists in Intercessor squads, and I can always swap out the arm for a chainsword if I want to save the points (I'll bet I never do).

I also darkened his hair, so he looked more like a warrior kissed by fire,
and less like a Russ Abbot character.

And that's my Rout completed!

At least as far as the requirements for WoffBoot XIII are concerned. There is still some power left in this Pack.

Space Wolves Primaris army

Gentlemen, I shall see you at the tables.

7 comments:

  1. They all look great buddy, its a lovely characterful force and looks fantastic as a whole army, top work all round :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I just have to learn how to play them now - they're an entirely different prospect to my Thousand Sons!

      Delete
  2. Love it, Stylus! Blooming well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's been a great project to work on.

      Delete
  3. Great work! I think your photos are too dark though, they just don't do such great models justice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I agree, getting the light right is always tricky for me. I try to go with natural light (but there wasn't much of that available when these were done!)

      Delete
    2. I can confirm that in "real life" (I'm told such a thing does exist) they look even better - and they do look great even in the pics

      Delete