Thursday 18 April 2019

Tango and Slash

I've crossed the 1000pts mark of my Black Legion - I really should add some characters!

Black Legion Chaos Lord - Kranon the Relentless from Dark Imperium
"I am set free from the diorama dimension!"

Chaos armies seem to lend themselves to adding unique characters - there's at least half a dozen in my kitbashing pile. But to start me off (because I need to get something table-legal) I went with the two generic HQs from Dark Vengeance.

Black Legion Chaos Lord - Kranon the Relentless from Dark Imperium

Kranon the Relentless is my Chaos Lord - you may recognise him from the diorama I put together at Christmas. He's been seconded off his scenic base so my traitor astartes have someone to order them around.

Black Legion Chaos Lord - Kranon the Relentless from Dark Imperium

And to back him up, his old buddy Vrosh Tattersoul!

Black Legion Exalted Champion - Vrosh Tattersoul from Dark Imperium

As an Exalted Champion, this guy has arguably more utility than the Lord. If he sticks like glue to the Khorne Berzerkers, his aura buff to wound rolls will be invaluable.

Mind you, that doesn't feel like the right way to endear yourself to the Pantheon - isn't he supposed to be making blood-offerings, not hanging around the back and shouting 'they don't like it up 'em, lads!'.

Ah well, he's also modelled with a combi-melta, so he can make a nuisance of himself from a distance.

Black Legion Exalted Champion - Vrosh Tattersoul from Dark Imperium

On the painting side, these were fun to do. All the Dark Imperium chaos models feel like they were outriders in this latest Chaos Space Marine release, so they're not out of place in scale or style.

There is a lot going on in terms of mutations and armour, but once you've worked out what is what, it's fairly straightforward.
  • Gold armour: Retributor Armour base, Agrax Earthshade wash
  • Black armour: Chaos Black base, Mechanicus Standard Grey layer,
  • Pipes, straps & gun barrels: Ironbreaker base, Nuln Oil wash
  • Bullets: Runelord Brass + Xv88 base, Agrax Earthshade wash
  • Eyes: Mephiston Red base, Carroburg Crimson wash
  • Plasma & Power Axe glow: Ulthuan Grey base, Guilliman Blue wash, Ulthuan Grey highlights
  • Followed by a very light drybrush with Terminatus Stone

Black Legion Exalted Champion - Vrosh Tattersoul from Dark Imperium

So these two turncoats from the Crimson Slaughter are currently at the top of my Black Legion hierarchy. But when I get out my conversion clippers, they may find their rule contested...

5 comments:

  1. "...isn't he supposed to be making blood-offerings, not hanging around the back and shouting 'they don't like it up 'em, lads!'."

    I laughed out loud in the office. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, if it results in more blood being spilled, Khorne should be fine with it. He won't be, because he's kind of an idiot as well as a jerk, but he should be ;)

    I like that Kranon's gear is actually pretty decent in 8th. When he first came out, Plasma Pistol/Power Sword (or even the Relic variants) was pretty awful as gear went, but now it's solid.

    And yeah, Vrosh is just great, all around. I got like five of him super cheap from some bitz site because the axe handles were broken, and I've split them up for bits to add here and there to various CSM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good deal - I really like the Vrosh sculpt, a real dynamic pose of running forward in heavy power armour, and festooned with weapons because you can never have too much killing stuff.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, it was like US$10 for the lot of them, just a ridiculously good deal, and it's a great pose to combine with a lot of different sets of arms and backpacks.

      Delete