Friday 19 April 2019

EXT: Rainforest (Full Bloom)


I've been meaning to do this for a while. Without further ado - the finished Jungle Terrain.




You may well have seen plenty of it already, it's been the backdrop for the Zamaroon Campaign. And there have been pics here and there, but nothing actually documenting it all. I'm nothing if not a meticulous completionist nerd (I'm neither meticulous nor completionist in any other walk of life, sadly), so for anyone who cares to gaze on it, here's the full floral catalogue!


It's made, as previously told, from irregular MDF base bits with a variety of plastic foliage stuck to it. Almost all of this came from eBay, where it's absolutely dirt cheap. The most expensive bits, the tall bamboo stands, were about three quid each. However! Be warned, because even though the sellers don't charge you for postage, you may end up forking out about £5-7 per package if you fall foul of import duty. I did, and was glad I'd ordered it in only three job lots, or it would have added quite a lot to the total.

This is made from leftover sprue pieces from the cargo containers - doorways mostly, with insets from the building windows at either end. The base is one of my long-neglected WFB movement trays!
This came off a 12'x12' mat of aquarium grass. Pull off the tufts, clip off the stalks and then reassemble where you want them!

Other than chopping up and then gluing the plastic plants to the bases, I didn't do much with them at all. They really don't need it, the colours are pretty realistic. The glue gun that I used does dry pretty shiny, though, so I used a bunch of different basing materials to cover up the worst bits. There's a Jungle Basing kit from Warlord that also provides you with three palm trees and some Japanese WWII era bunker bits, and the chopped up rattan fragments, three different tones of flock and two colours of stringy hairy stuff went very well over my locally-sourced sticks, rocks and dried out conker shells.
There's three of these, and I was originally going to chop them into bits. But they look great as they are, really, although one had snapped into three chunks in the mail, so I did cut some of that up
Two of these. Most of this stuff is bigger than I thought it was going to be, even though I knew the approximate sizes from the item descriptions. Small tree size next to GW stuff at the very least. 

There's bits of GW plastic in here and there, there's chunks of packing foam dipped in spackle, there's a trenchwork made of offcuts from the TTCombat buildings - all sorts, really. I really enjoyed building this stuff, and I'm very pleased with how it all came out. If you're looking to do it yourself, the main cost is time, it's all as cheap as I could get it. Apart from the Warlord Basing Kit, that was probably more money than it's worth. But I've got loads left over, so I may add to the collection in time.
Six smaller bases of scatter undergrowth

One thing I'd like to make at some point, which is a large thicket of dense trees. Most of these are scatter terrain sized, and the large ones aren't that easy to fit models on (because I got carried away). So having something roughly the size of a Citadel Wood with taller trees and lianas that models could fit into is on the wishlist. Not that I need it! This happily covers half a table by itself, and that's before I start cramming buildings on too.

Two shots of this last bit, one from each side, so you can see the gun nest and bunker entrance properly. Warlord Games resin, those bits. The gun nest opens up, but I'll probably glue it down - it's too small to fit any GW stuff inside.

Speaking of which, they need cataloging as well. Onwards!

2 comments:

  1. As you said, I had seen it all in the Zamaroon BatReps, but it's nice to get to see all the different bits on their own. Nice chunk of jungle there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! My Third Army almost outnumbers the two actual armies I have. Good job I have Tyranids, really!

      Delete