Wednesday 8 January 2020

Bloaty McBloatdrone and friends


Next up, some of my favourite models (and, perhaps, some of Stylus and Kasfunatu's least favourites due to their disgusting resilience).



I love the models for the Foetid Bloatdrones. I've magnetised the first one below to take any of the weapon options (Plaguespitters, Heavy Blight Launcher or Fleshmower) but I'm afraid I neglected to take pics with the other load-outs. Anyway, the Spitters are blatently the best options in almost all scenarios, though I'm keen to try the Fleshmower out at some point as it looks fantastic.






The Helbrute is also magnetised to take most (but not all) of the options. This was the first model I magnetised (with unnecessarily small 2mm magnets, so I needed lots of them). Back in the early 90s I built an Ork army but had to pick my weapon options and glue them on. After starting to do that with the Death Guard I then discovered magnets...and may have gone overboard in my delight on some models (though not to Leofa's extent...yet). Although a shooty version with Lascannons and Missile Launcher is sensible, I love the look of the Power Scourge:


This was the second Plagueburst crawler I bought so I added a bit of melted bodywork to distinguish it from the other and an offcut from a spare Lord of Contagion model. I've also magnetised the weapon options of course, though once again Plaguespitters are the best load-out:


I quite liked the effect of using diluted Rakarth Flesh as pus dribbling out of the open wounds



Lastly my Rhino. I really enjoyed modelling this one (despite the complete lack of magnets). I made liberal use of polystyrene cement to melt the bodywork as well as using plenty of green stuff to add tentacles and extra gloop dribbling out from the rotten interior as well as adding a few random bits:



The paint schemes are the same as my last post, plus using Nurgle's Rot to add effects to the PBC (as well as diluted Rakarth Flesh for the pus as noted above). The wounds on the vehicles were augmented with a very little Red Ink (I initially used Carroburg Crimson, but that wasn't quite bloody enough).

The bases for the Bloatdrones and Helbrute have my normal treatment of plastering sand on PVA glue, then generous dabs of more PVA once that's dry and a dip into rough sawdust. I added a few longer bits of sawdust to compliment the larger scale of these bases. Because of the length and fragility of these fronds, paint isn't enough to keep them intact so I covered these longer bits with a layer of superglue.

6 comments:

  1. These look amazing! Great work on the vehicles, a nice looking Death Guard army is truly a sight to behold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sassen frassen rassen foetid bloat drones...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got a third unpainted FBD too...heeheeheeeheee (it's hard to transliterate Mutley properly)

      Delete
  3. Brilliant, disgusting and great vibrant goo. These look phenomenal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm pretty pleased with them all

      Delete