Tuesday 7 January 2020

Dead Physicists Society: Death Guard characters

Next on my list to show you are the characters in the Second Law warband, starting with a Biologus Putrifier. He's usually my warlord so that the Daemon Prince can fly forwards and not worry about giving up Slay the Warlord. I usually give him the Arch Contaminator trait to maximise the effects of the Plague Marine squad acting as his bodyguard and the Foul Blightspawn who generally runs alongside him. I affectionately call him Maxwell.




This is Maxwell's buddy, a Foul Blightspawn called Kelvin. I was pretty pleased with the part-full tank of gloop on his back and I love the randomness of the rules for this guy too.



And this is my Daemon Prince. He has been bound to serve Maxwell in Nurgle's cause but Maxwell isn't telling anyone his name, so he's just known as Maxwell's Daemon. If double Malefic Talons weren’t so obviously the best options for a DP I might rip his arms off and magnetise the other options (I built him before discovering magnets).


Meet Clausius, my Lord of Contagion. He has doubled as Typhus in one battle as, although I now have a proper Typhus model, he's not yet painted.


My Malignant Plaguecaster, Boltzmann (memorable because he's firing boltz of putrid warp energy...sorry):



This is Einstein as I'm struggling to think of 19th Century physicists connected to the Second Law of Thermodynamics (which, roughly speaking, states that entropy - a measure of disorder or chaos - always increases). Einstein may be better known for other things, but he did dabble in thermodynamics as well. He's a converted Lord of Contagion and acts as a Chaos Lord (sometimes in Terminator armour, but usually not - Death Guard power armour is pretty distended so it's not a stretch to say it's either) to give a nearby squad of Plasma-armed Plague Marines a rather helpful reroll-ones aura. After painting him I hacked off his Balesword arm to magnetise it so he can also deploy a Power Fist.


Painting is as previously posted, using this method I found on Frontline Gaming, which I love as it's much dirtier than the "official" GW paint scheme for Death Guard:

- Base coats are Death Guard Green, Leadbelcher, Rakarth Flesh (both horns and fleshy bits - they're distinguished later on), Retributer Armour with various bits of Screamer Pink, Naggaroth Night and Mephiston Red.
- Everything gets a wash of Nuln Oil, then, when that's dry everything gets Agrax Earthshade. When that's dry everything gets Seraphim Sepia. This really brings out a nasty putrid yellowy-green in the armour and adds a rusty tone to the metal.
- Fleshy areas get a wash of Carroburg Crimson.
- Highlights are the same base colours initially (but only a little to avoid going to bright again) followed by "normal" highlights for the green armour of Elysian Green and Ogryn Camo.
- The bases are a layer of sand on PVA glue followed by a dip into rough sawdust. I used Waargh Flesh as the base colour for the leaves to avoid it being too similar to the armour tones.

The only thing to add this time is the green pus, which is a treasured pot of Bilious Green which is still fine after being in a drawer for about twenty five years. I added a wash of diluted green ink (from the original Expert Paint Set, dating from about 1991) then highlighted back up. I've now acquired a pot of Nurgle's Rot, which I like and have started to use, but that's for the next post...

5 comments:

  1. Bilious Green was the absolute best for slimes, acids, glowing warpstone energy and much more! I used the last of mine on the Tyranids and I still miss it. Great days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also commenting so I can champion Bilious Green. Love that colour.

    Characters also look great. From now on, The Second Law is aka Maxwell's House.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks both, I’m very careful how I use my last little bit of Bilious Green, but Nurgle seems like the place to use it. I used to use it as a final highlight on my Orks, which was possibly a bit of a waste in retrospect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Pootle, what colors did you use for the demon prince? It looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi and thank you! The base colours are all as described above (Death Guard Green, Retributer Armour, Rakarth Flesh, Screamer Pink) the all covered in the multiple washes as described; the flesh itself (as opposed to the thinner skin on the wings) had another wash of Carroburg Crimson and then a couple of washes of Athonian Camoshade to make it look a bit rotten (doesn't really show up in the pic but there's a horrible green tint to the skin). To be honest, this was one of the first models I painted after getting back into 40k and the highlighting is a bit unsubtle, but it still looks OK!

      Delete