Monday 13 January 2020

Purge and Unpurify

One gap for the Death Guard is a lack of long-range firepower. So the obvious solution was to sort out a supporting detachment of Havocs and, when Shadowspear dropped, Obliterators and a Venomcrawler seemed like a good way to complete a Spearhead Detachment.

I wanted to keep an entirely Nurgle-aligned army so, despite the temptation of Slaaneshi shooting-twice stratagems, I chose to paint these guys up as The Purge (partly because their trait of rerolling hits once a target has been wounded is pretty good too). 




The squad is (naturally) fully magnetised so the two missile launchers can be swapped for Lascannons and the two Autocannons can be swapped for Heavy Bolters or a Reaper Chaincannon.





I was slightly guilty painting all of these to be ignoring an awful lot of beautifully sculpted details, but the dry-brushing did bring some of it out a bit, and it was certainly quicker than painting a load of bronze trim. I felt I had to do a little bit of silver edging on the black parts however.




I've got a Terminator Lord/Sorcerer (magnetised of course) who will no doubt make an appearance at some point, but he's not painted yet as I chose to keep a lower-cost HQ to lead the detachment:



The Venomcrawler is fun. Unfortunately his lack of Disgusting Resilience will make him easier to kill than a Bloatdrone (but then again, most things are easier to kill than them...), so his principle job is acting as a distraction Carnifex - if it does make it into combat he's pretty nasty and will start regenerating wounds it lost on the way in.



Although I've really enjoyed painting up lots of rotting green armour on the Death Guard, I used Waargh Flesh as the base for the green to make sure it was different. However I once again ignored the GW method (of shading with Reikland Fleshshade and heavy highlighting with Straken Green with touches of Nurgling Green) and gave everything a wash of Nuln Oil, then Agrax Earthshade, then Seraphim Sepia again. This was then drybrushed up with Straken and Nurgling Greens, but I tried to keep it relatively dirty-looking (though not quite as rotten as the Death Guard).

9 comments:

  1. Excellent work! The colours look great.

    With the points drop, I don't think Obliterators are so obliged to take Endless Cacophony to be viable. And the bucket of rerolls from the Purge are useful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Stylus! Yes, I was never actually tempted to try Slaanesh-aligned Oblits once I saw that Purge's ability, and I think their multi-re-roll may be more useful for Obliterators than the Scourged's single reroll due to the six shots each puts out..as long as I can get an initial wound in. Maybe we'll see in a month or so...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work! These look really good, love the muted green colour scheme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, once again I ignored the too-bright official scheme and covered everything in three washes, which I think looks great on Nurgle models. It's not quite as "disgusting" a colour scheme as the Death Guard, but I like the faded look.

      Delete
  4. If you had one, a Master of Possession might make another good option as the HQ choice. Lovely model, plus some nice synergy with Oblits and the Venomcrawler, although I guess maybe not quite as handy as a sorcerer otherwise is.

    Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please don't encourage me to buy more models!!

      Delete
    2. For Purge, I would take an HQ with a power fist / combi-melta, to get the best mileage from the chapter trait and their bespoke warlord ability.

      Delete
    3. That's what the Chaos Lord will be armed with when he's done (magnetised though mainly as he could be a Terminator Sorcerer too). I don't think much of the solitary Purge relic though - Orb of Unlife: 8" range grenade that inflicts D3 mortal wounds on targets within d6" on a 4+. The D6" range is the problem.

      Delete
    4. It's not optimal (that mortal wounds on a 4+ is always a pain - I'd much rather do 1 MW automatically), but if I wanted to take it for thematic reasons, I'd probably give it to a cheap Exalted Champion (assuming you're running melee units) and lob it into the centre of an enemy line - tag a couple of units and characters to trigger the rerolls.

      Delete