Monday 20 January 2020

The Endangered Black Rhino

These magnificent beasts are being hunted to extinction by Space Marines with the Devastator Doctrine!

Chaos Space Marine Rhino

Pledge your support, so they can afford more smoke launchers.


I love the humble Rhino, although I'm still a terrible slacker when it comes to painting vehicles. I've had this trio for more than a year, already painted, and I've only just got around to adding my own colours (to claim them as my own in last year's painting tally)

Chaos Space Marine Rhino

These were something of an eBay bargain - all three already built and painted (and painted very well - I haven't been able to replicate that grey hull), so they just needed some personal touches to bring them to completion.

The skulls and severed heads were repainted (they were a very stark white - it's funny how everyone has their own ideas about what bone should look like) and the tracks were clogged with snow, to fit all my other bases.

I also marked them with colour - partly to distinguish them, partly to imply allegiance to certain factions. The green-marked one is usually taken by my Purge warband, so it also has a Nurgle icon (magnetised, for when it needs to be neutral).

I like idea of having these vehicles generally neutral (there's no gold trim for the Black Legion, for instance, and no transfers). Aside from letting me switch these between chaos armies as needed, the grey hulls also make them seem more utilitarian, and the astartes themselves stand out.

Chaos Space Marine Rhino for Khorne Bersekers

Only one of the Rhinos had a clear alignment - the one with the Berserker poking out of the top. This is fine, since you'd never take Berserkers without a bus to ride around in, and I did have to repaint this guy to match my current squad (so it counts as effort!)

You don't see many of these top-hatch gunners modelled (maybe because who would paint an extra figure if they didn't have to?), which is a shame, because they do look good.

Anyway, that's last year's models all caught up. Still no idea what's coming next.

1 comment:

  1. I put ground rhino horn in my tea for reasons. It does nothing.

    ReplyDelete