Thursday 5 May 2022

Tiscan Mobile Library

 A brief update for a big model.

A Thousand Sons Land Raider for Warhammer 40k

I like Land Raiders for a couple of reasons: 1) they're a classic design and 2) they're so ill-favoured in the current meta, you can pick up a second hand one for the price of a Rhino.

Having secured this one for a song, I gave it a quick black undercoat and got to work. Usually, my reticence about painting vehicles would have doomed this to a long stretch on the to-do shelf, but I was against a deadline, so just had to get on with it.

A Thousand Sons Land Raider for Warhammer 40k

The quick and easy method for this was to 'overbrush' (like drybrushing, but with a lot more paint on the brush) the whole thing Thousand Sons Blue, and then lightly drybrush Ahriman Blue. This left plenty of shadow in the recess, highlighted the edges, but was a massive time-saver.

It ended up as an almost-identical effect as my basecoat-wash-drybrush that I did for my Rhinos, but in half the time.

A Thousand Sons Land Raider for Warhammer 40k

With the main body done, it was just a case of adding the metallics where necessary, and the whole experience became very enjoyable.

If I were building this from scratch, I would have added some more Tzeentchian flare, but I settled for giving them the spellbook banner (a spare from the Lord of Change kit). Magentised at the base, naturally (that thing's begging to be snapped off), and it can even fit inside the Land Raider's ramp for transport.

I did the sigils on the page freehand, but the little columns of text are from the Adepta Sororitas decal sheet, which is brilliant for filling in pages.

A Thousand Sons Land Raider for Warhammer 40k

I'd never given much thought to mobility for my Thousand Sons, but now I can stuff five Scarab Occult Terminators inside, I'll have quite the armoured column.

4 comments:

  1. A second second-hand LR in quite a short space of time: anyone would think you love painting vehicles now! I do like the book banner, that really sets it off

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really did enjoy painting the vehicle - quite disappointed the Heretics have so few in their roster!

      Delete
  2. If you return stuff overdue, do they clamp you in a Helbrute?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should see what happens when you lose the dustjacket.

      Delete