Thursday 12 May 2022

Achilles Wheel


 Ridgerunner Ridgerunner! Goin' faster miles an hour!

Very snappy looking buggy, this, sleek and swift. At least, it would be if I hadn't daubed mud all over it, but when I hear a vehicle described as 'rugged', I don't think a factory paintjob quite conveys that. 


This one had a layer of a fancy chipping medium instead of the usual hairspray I use for chips and scratches. Not worth it at all - the damn stuff was much harder to remove, which does (in fairness) give you a lot more control over where the chipping appears. Perhaps I put it on too thick, though, because I had to press so hard to get it off again that it kept going through to the plastic underneath. 


Not the end of the world, and I persevered to get a decent result, but I don't know that I'd use it again over the quicker and easier hairspray. Cheap and cheerful works well for me, so I'll stick to what I know. 


Like with the base, which is made of household scraps and stuff I found outside, as usual. It was going to be leaping straight over the ledge, but my daughter said it looked better at an angle, a bit more dynamic, and I reckon she had a point. I did toy with the idea of having it breaking through a safety rail, but couldn't quite muster the enthusiasm for extra work. I could always come back to that later, it would look good. 


Battlefield-wise, this is a typical light vehicle. Decent firepower and speed, nothing tremendous in terms of survivability but also nice and cheap. There are a few options for the secondary turret, but the Flare Launcher felt like the best, to give it a tiny boost to its survivability.


The mortar felt like the wrong option for two main reasons, hence not bothering to paint it up (I have a mining laser or missile launcher to slot on as required). First, a fairly tame indirect fire option doesn't pair well with the other guns on the jeep, and neither are strong enough to make splitting the shots particularly sensible. Second, the mortar needs a different slot on the back, whereas the other two guns both go on the same robo-arm, so that solved it for me. 


The army is pretty functional now, you could probably put a 1000-point list together comfortably as long as you lean on my Genestealers. (And why wouldn't you? The cult got its name from them, after all!) Still, that feels a bit limited, so I shall keep going for a bit longer!

1 comment:

  1. Your daughter has good instincts: the angled base is great (and I love the outflow pipe and crystals on the base too).

    ReplyDelete