Tuesday 3 May 2022

Shop Smart

 


Got to love a good boomstick.


If the hail of peashooter fire from autoguns doesn't quite excite you, you're welcome to arm your neophytes with shotguns instead. Half the range, but double the shots and a little extra hitting power. Given that these guys are pretty likely to be springing out of their prepared positions at close range, I don't see the harm in giving them shotties instead. 


I am helped in this dubious decision making by the general grooviness of the shotgun sculpts. How many variants of a tube on a rifle stock can there be, you might ask? Well, quite a few. Single tube, double, up and over, side by side - you name it, they've got it. 


A bare bones unit of ten for now. I reckon that's not the worst way of using them, a cheap throwaway to help get crossfire bonuses. Their survival is a non-critical element of the overall plan. 


I'm getting happier with my basing, too - a lick of gloss at the end makes the mud look a bit wetter, which helps. And I read somewhere, once, long ago, that you can give crystals a bit of colour by painting the bottom of them with a bright paint that then reflects through. I tried it on this batch, daubing a little blob in the concave hollow at the bottom, and am very impressed with the difference it makes. Plain white apparently gives them more glow, I might try that next. 


This week's character is the Primus, now quite a decent infantry-boosting character who is no pushover himself in a fight. I gave him the full helmet (a spare taken from one of the other kits in the range), and had a go at painting a light-sourced face inside it. Not quite how crisp I hoped it might be, it's a bit cartoony, but it's close enough!


The end goal for these cultists blocks is to have twenty of each available, with weapon options to spare. That will have to wait for my wallet to pass a regen save, so for now, I can move on to some more elite options!


2 comments:

  1. The shotguns were my favourite bit of the GSC kit too. Love the space helmet on the Primus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is looking like the start of a fantastic army - lots of individual character. It's looking very cool

    ReplyDelete