Tuesday 22 October 2024

Slightly More Than Meets The Eye

 I picked these up in 2020, but thought I'd hold off posting again until they were all painted...

Transformers Deep Cuts Miniatures by WizKids

... which is four years or procrastination. But for me, not even a close to the record.

These are 'Transformers Deep Cuts' by Wizkids. Essentially 3" high sculpts of your favourite Generation 1 Transformers. The 'Deep Cuts' bit is, I think, a reference to the quality of the sculpt (which is, in fairness, very good) and they're sold as 'pre-primed', so you can just get painting them (I didn't trust it, and primed it again).

I'd already painted up the Wave 1, and was keenly awaiting Wave 2 (although I got slightly less keen when I realised this only consisted of two models).

Arcee was the only non-Season 1 Transformer to make the collection (she doesn't appear until The Movie), although I expect they were trying to cast a wide net to kick-start the range. I didn't lean into the bright pink armour at the first attempt, so went back over to really brighten her up.

Transformers Deep Cuts Miniatures by WizKids - Arcee, Wave 2 painted

And the model that was painted last of all is Soundwave. This doesn't reflect my enthusiasm for him - he's one of my very favourites - but by this time I'd learned that the line had been cancelled, and I lost heart in completing this small collection.

That said, when I did knuckle down and paint him, it was an absolute joy - lovely bright block colours and a bit dollop of nostalgia.

Transformers Deep Cuts Miniatures by WizKids - Soundwave, Wave 2 painted

Despite trailing more models (Rumble, Laserbeak and Ironhide), the line abruptly ended. I even went so far as to get this confirmed by Wizkids themselves ('we no longer have the license').

Maybe the onset of Covid just when the line launched interrupted the supply chain before momentum could build. Maybe people just weren't into non-transforming Transformers. Either way, I'm having a good nose around 3D prints to see if I can match up the scale and fill out the ranks some more.

Transformers Deep Cuts Miniatures by WizKids

I've had a few rough games with these, although there's a game called Bot Wars that suggests it might offer a decent simularcrum. I'll have to see what the future (the far-distant 2005) holds.

No comments:

Post a Comment