Wednesday 16 October 2024

EXT: The Village of Molder-Under-Lyme

 


Crisps = Scenery!

It's another Pringles tower, this time fantasy-themed. My eldest daughter saw some YouTuber making something and decided I should be doing the same, so it's all her idea really. 

Two cans stuck together made up the frame for this one. The small can got a semi-circle cut out of it, but with tabs I could bend back and glue down to the larger one. I cut them to look sort of like stonework, which worked reasonably well.

The smaller can got an external layer of stonework effect plasticard for texture. It needed a hot soak to bend round the can without snapping, then lots of gluegun and rubber bands to hold it in place. There wasn't enough of the plasticard for the big one, so it got a big uneven coat of pumice paste, then some strips of card that I scored with a blunt pencil to give a sort of timber effect. Pretty rough and ready, but I'm happy with it!

After that, it got stuck down to an mdf circle, then coated with sand and rocks and a few matchstick windowframes. And a big stick, holding up the side tower, and some spare doors from the bits box. Matchsticks for the balcony railing, and the wooden floor there is a pre-printed sheet of wood effect paper glued down after the undercoat was on. 

The top of the tower is a plastic toy castle piece. Originally, it had a rubbish flat top, which I cut out and spent ages sculpting a hollow interior for. More bits of plasticard and pre-printed paper, plus gluegun and matchsticks, and I've got space for snipers or flag-wavers. 

One of my seams was pretty awful, so although this was all finished months ago, I waited until I had enough spare hobby money to get another GSW order in. Lots of hobby ivy! Enough to cover my worst bits, and plenty spare. 

Plenty spare? That meant I had to use it up. More bits of the plastic castle...

Here it is at an earlier stage of development. I thought I'd taken a bunch of in-progress photos, but I seem to have deleted them all. 

This little armour tower has a card roof made of six triangles cut to size, decorated with thinner card 'tiles' and a plastic doohickey to top it off. 

...and a few chunks of polystyrene armoured in the last bits of plasticard...




...plus sand, glue, ivy and moss, and I've got some semi-modular ruined walls. Semi because the moss down the side stops them joining too neatly, although really that's my slapdash approach to modelling causing that. The moss was actually supposed to help cover the gaps, but I didn't bother trying it out before gluing it. It made the fit worse! I don't mind, really, it's more than good enough for my purposes. 

The inside of my cooker really isn't the dramatic backdrop this deserves, but it's what I've got.

And that's the lot - goes well with the church and cottage from earlier in the year, so I can have a nice sleepy hamlet for any Old World games I manage to pull off before the year's end. 

1 comment:

  1. They look great sir! Ruined wall segments will always be useful, and the tower is very impressive

    ReplyDelete