Thursday 6 July 2023

They'll Be Back

 Chaos Terminators - how did it take me so long to add such an iconic unit?

Black Legion Chaos Terminators for Warhammer 40k

(my own bone-idleness and utterly unfocussed painting notwithstanding)

I picked up these fellas at the same time that I bought Abaddon, since the Warmaster needs his entourage. I can't actually remember the difference between the older kits and these new ones, but they're very nice all the same.

Black Legion Chaos Terminators for Warhammer 40k

I used basically the same recipe as my original heretics, but the release of Black Legion contrast (what else?) has revolutionised the way I handle black armour - very smooth matt finish and much easier to block in the armour plates.

I also gave up edge highlighting the armour - it takes an age and never looks right. Some very detailed drybrushing, and another wash of Nuln Oil gave me a much more subtle effect for half the headache.
  • Gold armour: Retributor Armour base, Agrax Earthshade wash, Gehenna Gold drybrush
  • Black armour: Black Legion contrast, Mechanicus Standard Grey drybrush,
  • Pipes, straps & gun barrels: Ironbreaker base, Nuln Oil wash
  • Bullets: Runelord Brass + Xv88 base, Agrax Earthshade wash
  • Eyes: Mephiston Red base, Carroburg Crimson wash
  • Skin: Rakarth Flesh base, Reikland Flesh wash, Pallid Wych Flesh layer
  • Cloth: Khone Red base, Nuln Oil wash, Evil Sunz Scarlet layer

Black Legion Chaos Terminators for Warhammer 40k

These models were built before the release of 10th Edition, so I took the punt that a) reaper autocannons might finally get good or b) there would be no costs for upgrades, so I had nothing to lose. At least I was half right, and it does look a fearsome weapon.

Black Legion Chaos Terminators for Warhammer 40k

I have to say, though I'll miss combi-meltas, the homogenisation of Terminator weapons does make a lot of sense. Although lightning claws were the only weapons to go in the opposite direction - acting more like their old profile than the 'double accursed weapons' they became.

Black Legion Chaos Terminators for Warhammer 40k

Naturally, now I have some, I want more. Bodyguards for Abaddon for one thing. I've got a Land Raider, so the thought of them steaming out of the assault ramp for another. And then there's the timeless deepstrike tactic.

Black Legion Chaos Terminators for Warhammer 40k

2 comments:

  1. I would absolutely come with them if I wanted to live. Smart work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Classic unit! I too have an unpainted squad of these..you're very helpful in prodding me to get certain units onto the desk!

    ReplyDelete