Monday 3 July 2023

40k Launch Box completed!

 (the one from 2020, that is)

Space Wolves Bladeguard Veterans, Primaris Lieutenant and Judiciar

One of the reasons that made the Leviathan box an easy pass for me were the unassembled models from the previous Indomitus launch, giving me the stink-eye from the to-do pile. All these choppy Bladeguard who would have had a fine time didn't even get their blades wet in 9th.

Space Wolves Bladeguard Veterans
"We few, we happy - and exactly divisible by three - few."

I don't have a defence - because it's my hobby and I can do what I want - but if I did mount a defence, it would be that I couldn't just paint the Bladeguard out of the box. Those long shields and motorcycle helmets didn't scream Space Wolves to me.

Space Wolves Bladeguard Veterans

As always, Puppetswar came to my rescue. Some round runic shields, and a mix of cyber-viking and slavic head swaps to add a bit of facial hair to my veterans.

Space Wolves Bladeguard Veterans

So some fairly painless conversions. I seem to be running low on wolf pelts and trinkets, but my successor chapter has always run a little sparse - they're not called Chapter Egg & Chips for nothing!

Space Wolves Bladeguard Veterans

Back into my standard Space Wolves paint scheme. Despite the added challenge of bare heads and white robes, it's still a refreshingly simple one and very pleasant to dip into (which is fortunate, because I've got plenty more to do!)
  • Armour: The Fang base, Agrax Earthshade wash, Russ Grey drybrush, Fenrisian Grey drybrush
  • Yellow pauldron: Averland Sunset base, Cassandora Yellow wash, Yriel Yellow drybrush
  • Imperial Aquila: Retributor Armour base, Reikland Flashshade wash, Golden Griffon drybrush
  • Robes: Celestra Grey base, Ulthuan Grey layer
  • Belt buckle, helmet coils and gun parts: Ironbreaker base, Nuln Oil wash
  • Gun frame: Black Legion
  • Belts and holsters: XV-88 base, Agrax Earthshade wash
  • Pouches: Dryad Bark
  • Base: Vajello Earth Texture, Agrax Earthshade wash, Mounfang Brown lip

Space Wolves Bladeguard Ancient

I was never that keen on the Bladeguard Ancient. I've already got one banner guy (and he is actually holding up a cloth banner, not a skeleton), so I swapped him out with a sword and gave him a shield to join his Bladeguard brothers.

Space Wolves Primaris Lieutenant

And speaking of things I don't need any more of - here comes the Primaris Lieutenant (I don't think I'm allowed to call him a Battle Leader any more). But there's room in the Bladeguard, so I gave him a quick demotion and he can put his volkite pistol into service as a Sergeant (I don't think I'm allowed to call him a Pack Leader any more).

Space Wolves Judiciar

Bringing up the rear is a model who was just beastly in 9th Edition, so at least I won't lose any friends playing his watered-down version in 10th.

I quite like the idea of a Judiciar as an apprentice-Chaplain (I don't think I'm allowed to call him a Wolf Priest any more). I've got a couple of Wolf Priests in the army already (the pack needs a lot of keeping in line), so he fits the narrative nicely.

And, as much as I usually lean into the bonkers nature of 40k, the magic egg-timer wasn't doing it for me. So I provided him with the severed head of a Thousand Sons sorcerer (from the Cult of Time - so the effect of the tempormortis is the same). And that rather strange head is replaced with a grim faced executioner with a goatee.

Space Wolves Bladeguard Veterans, Primaris Lieutenant and Judiciar

And that's the set complete!
If you're wondering where the rest of the Indomitus models are, I gave them away to my kids - it's their problem now ;-)

4 comments:

  1. Those round shields are boss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well done! I fully align with passed on counts as completed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And you've painted every model of Leviathan that you've bought too! Nice work

    ReplyDelete