Friday 16 June 2023

Aba - done!

I appear to be cruising through this year's Hobbypocalypse challenge in a fit of absent-mindedness.

Abaddon the Despoiler of the Black Legion, Chaos Space Marines for Warhammer 40k

Let's hear it for points-expensive character models!

I've had Abaddon for almost a year now, and like any model with a reputation, I've been too intimidated to attempt him. 

Luckily, I had the spur of the Hobbypocalypse, and the only way I was going to make my may deadline was by painting this single model - so I had to put on my big boy terminator pants and get to it!

Abaddon the Despoiler of the Black Legion, Chaos Space Marines for Warhammer 40k

As it turns out, he wasn't nearly so bad as I feared. Like his opposite number, Gulliman, from a few months ago, he's basically just a larger space marine, and all the usual rules apply:

  • Paint the gold bits gold.
  • Paint the black bits black.
  • Make sure the dead marine underfoot has blue armour.

The model itself is superb, thought I did have a couple of gripes with it:
  • The had is not a distinct piece (the face attaches to the back of the head), so you can't really leave that off to paint it separately (unlike Gulliman)
  • The cloak, however, pretty much has to be painted as a subassembly (or else you can forget about any detail on the back of the armour), but it's a real pain to attach afterwards - my advice is to be patient, be persistent, and have the filler handy.

Abaddon the Despoiler of the Black Legion, Chaos Space Marines for Warhammer 40k

With Abaddon progressing so well, I pushed myself and tried to simulate that red glow inside his terminator armour. It was basically starting with a Mephiston Red base, and then layering up as normal - except that the light was coming from below, rather than above. Where I thought I'd gone too light, I added a light glaze of thinned-Carroburg Crimson.

I'm not sure I achieved much more than giving him a more ruddy complexion than his fellow heretics, but it was nice to try.

Abaddon the Despoiler of the Black Legion, Chaos Space Marines for Warhammer 40k
So embarrassing when you wear the same outfit.

2 comments:

  1. He's a lovely model and you've done him proud (well, perhaps slightly embarrassed)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Red Skull and Abaddon would have a lot to sympathise with each other over a cold beer.

    Great stuff - I hear your pain on the subassemblies, he's very fiddly and fragile in all the wrong bits.

    ReplyDelete