Tuesday 18 July 2023

EXT: Abbey Ruins

 


Terrain? Why thank you, I will. 


Home straight, I swear - these are among the final bits in the last box. They're some of the fanciest and trickiest to paint, too. Clear plastic ruins!


Undercoats have to be manually applied here, I don't have the masking tape skills to cover the bits that will end up glass. Turns out painting tiny stained glass panel lining by hand is quite tasking. Who knew? Having to pick out the vines growing over them was even worse. Scary stuff.



Very pleased with how they all came out, though, they're really nice pieces. I used a torch to backlight them a bit for their photos, so you can see the light shining through. Not that you will on the tabletop, generally, but seeing as I can't hold them lovingly up to the light then either, it's all moot. 




Some summery minions to go with them - it's a trio of giant wasps. Surprisingly fast to do, they were my go-to unit while paint was drying on the ruins. First of several standard low-level roleplaying foes, I really like these. They need a bit of ballast on their bases, they're a bit top heavy. 


Next batch already underway!


2 comments:

  1. Nice use of the translucent plastic! I wish they could make them more...multi-part I guess, to make it easier to prime the parts that are supposed to be non-translucent, but that would increase the cost so I get why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree! Some of the transparent stuff in the last sci-fi themed gear came like that, all on the same sprue but at least in parts so that the bits that wouldn't end up transparent could be undercoated separately. The fountain is also lacking any detail on the back, which is a missed opportunity. Ah well - little niggles, they're all still lovely pieces!

      Delete