Wednesday 28 June 2023

Grab the Lieut


 New edition troubles - how to buff my Tactical Marines?

This week on Niche Problems, we're looking at how to get the tasty bonus for having a Lieutenant in your squad when your Tac Marines are all RBT01 and you've only got a Primaris Lt in your collection. 

Obviously, I could field the Primaris guy as the non-Primaris guy, but I'm not that kind of monster. So I popped to the shops and got the cheapest alternative I could find, one of the blind-buy boxes of Space Marine Heroes, and decided I'd convert anyone who wasn't heroic enough. 


No need, as it turned out - I rather like this guy, Brother Vesta. He's got a bigger base than my tiny weeny wombles, as a good Lt probably should, and he only cost a fiver, also like a reasonable Lt probably should. 

One last problem was that I didn't fancy painting him as a Mantis Warrior, for reasons I can't personally fathom. 


So he's done as a Mentor Legion marine. Enough green that he'll fit in with the Mantises, but a rather smart white for his trousers and shoulders. Mentor Legion are apparently pretty hardcore solo types, and having one (even a humble Tac marine) embedded with the Mantis Remnant to ensure codex compliance works in my head canon. 

Push-fit assembly, plus a choice of heads (bare head, characters love the thrill of danger), then a very quick paintjob done with a fast and dirty zenithal drybrush, Warpstone Green contrast, then a bit of Light Green (vallejo) and Pure White (army painter) edging, then a quick round of Reaper Grey for battle damage. Hour and a half tops, and good clean fun. It is now apparent to me that I don't technically have a standard Captain model either... 

7 comments:

  1. Ingenious solution!
    Are the Mentors the ones who fell to Chaos and became The Pure?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope not!

      From what I remember, they were super-Codex compliant, and went round in tiny squads observing and assisting other Chapters or using experimental weapons. In Rogue Trader times, they were one of the first chapters to get their own rules. This was a landmark, especially because the rules were pretty broken (two vortex missiles per launcher broken). Their canon has changed a bit since then, but they still seem pretty cool to me!

      Delete
    2. That's what I remember too, though there are dirty great tracts of lore since RT days that I'm not au fait with. Whatever his inclinations, he looks good Kraken, good to have a slightly different scheme to paint

      Delete
    3. According to The WoffBoot Chronicles (trusted source), the Mentor Legion inherited the chapter number and colours from the Star Scorpions, who had an unstable gene-seed, disappeared into the warp, and became The Pure.

      Delete
    4. Ah! So the Star Scorpions became The Pure. Well, I'm sure that inheriting that legacy won't come back to haunt anybody, and having it on their CV makes the Mentors the perfect chapter to aid the Mantis Warriors on their path to redemption. Good choice, Nampo.

      Delete
    5. My Master of Possession for Creations of Bile was one of The Pure (try freehanding a Basilisk wrapped around a planet on a pauldron!), so there's your narrative hook.

      Delete
  2. That is a really nice model Kraken.

    ReplyDelete