Monday 9 August 2021

Fires of Change

I like the look of the new Infernal Master HQ, but I couldn't wait to use him!

Thousand Sons Infernal Master conversion for Warhammer 40,000

Last week, while I was distracting myself from the painting I should have been doing, I kitbashed together my own Infernal Master, so I would be ready to use him as soon as the codex was in my hands.

(it turns out, that was quicker than expected)

Thousand Sons Infernal Master conversion for Warhammer 40,000

I picked up the Mephiston model cheaply last year, because I knew a cloak that dramatic was destined for sorcery. The extra bits were an Exalted Sorcerer head, Changecaster hands, Reiver left arm, Scarab Occult buckle, bird skulls from the Skull kit, Dark Apostle backpack, Burning Chariot swooshy bit and Tzaangor Enlightened critters.

Thousand Sons Infernal Master conversion for Warhammer 40,000

I liked the result so much, I was inspired to crack on and paint him right away. Same general colour scheme as my other Sorcerers (although as the years pass, I think my blending is improving)

  • Gold armour: Retributor Armour base, Reikland Flashshade wash, Golden Griffon drybrush
  • Blue armour: Thousand Sons base, Nuln Oil wash, Thousand Sons layer, Ahriman Blue layer
  • 'King Tut' headdress: Blue (as armour) + Yellow (Averland Sunset base, Cassendora Yellow wash, Yriel Yellow layer)
  • Loincloths: Celestra Grey base, Drakenhof Nightshade wash, Ulthuan Grey layer
  • Robes: Kantor Blue base, Druchii Violet wash, Xerus Purple layer
  • Sorcerer's cloak: Screamer Pink base, Nuln Oil wash, Khorne Red layer + Ushabdi Bone base, Agrax Earthshade wash, Screaming Skull layer
  • Eyes: Ulthuan Grey base, Biel-Tan Green wash
  • Flames: Emperor's Children + Lothern Blue (with highlights)
One trick I was told for the decal was to give the shoulder pad a layer of Ardcoat first, then apply the decal and use Lahmian Medium to take off the shine - this reduces the air pockets beneath the decal, so stops the 'white outline' that can occur.

Thousand Sons Infernal Master conversion for Warhammer 40,000

And so Phyroc Optera, my first Infernal Master is complete. I'm going to give him a good few runs in battle, and I'm interested to see how he does as a supporting character. I like the idea of a power that can't be countered by an enemy, even if there's only a 2/3 chance of it happening (I'll just have to trust Fate!)

No comments:

Post a Comment