Tuesday 10 August 2021

Truly Madly Deepness


Inspiration didn't find me, so I turned to the Deep Madness box for some painting. 

Plenty in there to do, and individually they're all great models. It's just the fact that they're groups of identikit monsters that puts me off, really. However amazingly gribbly the sculpt is, the thrill palls after more than a couple. 


Especially when they're all gnarly fangs and throbbing veins - fiddly detail work that needs repeating on each one. At least I have plenty of practice of painting teeth and gums!


These wibbly beasts are Thirsters. There should be five, but one had been incorporated into a Ripper Swarm during earlier work. Game-wise, if a Thirster manages to latch on to you, it drinks deep and tranforms into one of these:



These Gluttons are much bigger and nastier. Given that you're already deep in trouble (and madness, presumably), having an entirely fresh and much more powerful monster popping up beside you seems like extremely bad news. Perhaps I will one day find out if I ever actually play the game!

These were all done as fast as I could. Black undercoat and white zenithal, then Blood For the Blood God plastered over the whole thing before picking the details out. I'm very glad I put almost no effort into the basic colours, because picking said details out took ages. 


Three heroes to sooth the pain of the monoposes. 


Jacob Clark is definitely not based on the protagonist of a classic horror video game, where a space mechanic uses various laser tools to snip tentacles off plasmic monsters from beyond. 


Charles Ryan the Heavy Miner clearly takes his job seriously. And obviously won't be adapting his job to include using his tools to snip tentacles off etc etc. 


And this is another Heavy Miner Suit, but a generic one that you can find and use as an upgrade card in the game. So that's YOU inside it. Go, you.  

More of these to come unless I come up with a terrain piece to make!

4 comments:

  1. Hideous monsters - I love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be able to field an entire army of spawn once these are all done. Daemon proxies, I'm thinking!

      Delete
  2. They look great! I particularly like the visor on the heavy miner suit - how did you do that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! It's freehand over a plain plastic dome with a bit of varnish over it, I used a photo of a backlit astronaut in her helmet to copy the lighting. Came out well, I'm pleased!

      Delete