Tuesday 17 August 2021

Crafted with Love


The Deep Madness Dive continues!

There was a lot of wholesomely unapologetic lifting from the works of old HP in the monster design for Deep Madness, one of the things that got my attention in the first place. I was a big fan of Lovecraft ten years or so ago - I still like him now, of course, but my fanboy stage is past - so I really liked the nods to the books. 

Aw, look at them singing their little hearts out.

One of the expansions actually has him as a figure! Couldn't find that in the box this time out, though, so he'll have to wait. 


These shambling guys are Deep Ones, suitably fish-folky. They got chosen under my usual box set painting rational, which is 'do the rubbish ones first'. They grew on me rather a lot as I did them, though, there's a lot of detail in there that a skilled painter could really work with. Something like the crew of the Flying Dutchman in the second Pirates of the Caribbean movie, lots of shellfish and sea things clinging in there. I had a go, but didn't go too nuts. 


Three heroes to go with. 


One of the original core box six, this is Randi Carter (either another HP nod or a particularly amorous haulier). Good Scooby vibe there, I like it. 


Sophie Brigman here is a diver. Or conceivably a tomb raider of sorts, I don't know. 


And I have no idea who this Skidrow Warlette here is a reference to. I don't get out much. 

Finally, one of the larger beasties. This is the Obscure, and is pretty definitely lifted from Lovecraft's creature the Byakhee (he got it from his pal August Derleth). The man himself describes it as well as anyone:

"There flapped rhythmically a horde of tame, trained, hybrid winged things... not altogether crows, nor moles, nor buzzards, nor ants, nor decomposed human beings, but something I cannot and must not recall."

I'd say the sculptor nailed it. And is presumably irrevocably insane, howling in a garret somewhere appropriate.



No comments:

Post a Comment