Wednesday 23 December 2020

Absolutely Fabius

I'll Be Cloned For Christmas!

Fabius Bile for Warhammer 40k


Fabius Bile aka The Clonemaster aka The Manflayer aka The Spider aka Soon To Be Portrayed by Werner Herzog In A Cinema Near You.

Fabius Bile for Warhammer 40k

This has to be one of GW's best updates on a classic character - gently improving on the original rather than throwing out everything and starting again.

I picked up the kit over the summer, and managed to paint him in swift order too (just in time to be inspired by this magnificent debut) - however, my hobby being what it is, I never got around to painting his assistant until this week, so that held up this post.

Fabius Bile for Warhammer 40k

And a nice model to paint it was too. It almost goes without saying that the Chirurgeon was painted separately, which left the armour, coat and face the only real challenges.

The armour was a base of Xereus Purple, which I bought for the occasion, and was so happy with it, I'd happily start Emperor's Children just for the excuse to keep using it.

Fabius Bile for Warhammer 40k

The coat was less of a recipe, more 'keep going until I'm happy'. Cadian Flesh base, Gulliman Flesh wash, Cadian Flesh glaze, Gulliman Flesh pin wash, Kislev Flesh edge highlights, Kislev Flesh Air drybrush. There's probably an easier way, but I got there in the end.

Contrast paint came in handy for the various vials and syringes. With a Ulthuan Grey base, I found I could 'pool' the paint towards the ends of the vials (Aethermatic Blue and Talassar Blue, respectively)

Fabius Bile for Warhammer 40k

And the chap who held up progress, the Surgeon-Acolyte. I gave him very grey flesh, since he doesn't look the heathiest (do the plugs on his arm suggest a former astartes?) - Rakarth Flash and Pallid Wych Flesh highlight.

Surgeon-Acolyte for Warhammer 40k

Nighthaunt Gloom with Sotek Green highlights for his lower robe; Celestra Grey with Ulthuan Grey highlights for the upper cape. Black Templar for the mask (which is great for painting black, yet leaving the details beneath) and Talassar Blue for the eye lenses.

Fabius Bile and Surgeon-Acolyte for Warhammer 40k

That's the nefarious pair finished. I have plans for an entire Creations of Bile army, but since that's one project among many, he'll probably be plying his trade freelance for the near future.

2 comments: