Monday 11 November 2019

Purge and Shoot

Obliterators with marks of Nurgle? I'm such an iconoclast.

Chaos Space Marines renegade chapter - The Purge - Obliterators
"What is this 'Endless Cacophony' anyway? It sounds dumb."

So the Obliterators have some lovely new models (about two minutes after I finished kitbashing my own) and they look very good, festooned with guns and aesthetically in line with the Helbrute.

Chaos Space Marines renegade chapter - The Purge - Obliterators

Ungrateful wretch that I am, I do wonder if Chaos players are that much better off with the new stats for Obliterators - more shots, more survivable and a decent melee option is all very well, but at nearly double the points, you're making a huge commitment by taking a unit of three, and their fleshmetal guns can be very variable, I can see why Endless Cacophony is pretty much obligatory in a decent list, and that does narrow down thematic options.

Back to the kits themselves - there are only two poses (and it doesn't look like there's a multipose kit to follow), so if I want to run them in the full size unit of three (which is damn expensive in points), it's out with the clippers and greenstuff.

Chaos Space Marines renegade chapter - The Purge - Obliterators

Nothing too fancy with Obliterator #3 (I obtained them all pre-built, so options were limited). The left arm was re-positioned, the gatling cannon removed (I've got plans for that, never fear), the head swapped for the 'fly' Plaguebearer, and a few more guns added (Bullgryn grenade launcher and Reiver grappling hook).

The colour scheme for the Purge is dead easy - which is good, because I'm painting against a deadline (again!)

  • Black Armour: Chaos Black base, Terminatus Stone drybrush, Nuln Oil wash 
  • Green Armour: Waaagh! Flesh base, Reikland Flesh wash, Elysian Green drybrush, Nurgling Green drybrush
  • Cloth: Skragg Brown base, Agrax Earthshade wash, Jokaero Orange highlights
  • Eye lenses: Ulthun Grey base, Hexwraith / Waystone Green technical
  • Weapons, Ironbreaker base, Typhus Corrosion technical, Ryza Rust drybrush


Chaos Space Marines renegade chapter - The Purge - Obliterators

My hope is that rerolling all hits will compensate a bit for not having either Endless Cacophony or Veterans of the Long War. It will certainly save me some command points (which I can at least use for the Grandfather's Blessing stratagem to resurrect one of them),

So that's some serious fire-support for my melee-orientated Purge. They're starting to shape up into their own little army ... oh dear.

16 comments:

  1. A little part of me is disappointed that your Purge Oblits look so much better than the ones that are inching themselves off my painting table - they look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - they really are the simplest of paint schemes. You've made the right choice having them as the CSM allies for your Death Guard.

      I'm back to torturing myself with the gold filigree of the Black Legion - only a few squads left now!

      Delete
  2. Stylus, I appreciate your dedication to making all hobbyists feel better about themselves through showcasing your copious hobby butterfly tendencies. Thank you!

    p.s. new models look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look great and nice conversion. The rotary cannon finding its way into a havoc squad?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely - leave no rotary cannon behind!

      Delete
  4. How do you feel about three solo oblits vs one squad? You can't double tap them with the slaanesh strat, but your nurgle ones can't anyway. Harder to put them down with focussed fire, and fills out a detachment better, perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not a bad shout - the usual benefits of keeping them as one unit (Endless Cacophony, Veterans of the Long War) is gone, so having them randomly deepstrike all over the place could be serious nuisance value.

      The counterpoint is that you could cast Miasma of Pestilence over the whole unit, and that's their best bet to stay alive for another round of shooting (Grandfather's Blessing too, but that's expensive in CP and a bit more situational).

      The other thing is I would need another Purge HQ to take advantage of a second detachment ... although that's on the way too.

      Delete
    2. VotLW is still available to Purge as they're CSM (unless I'm mistaken). My gut instinct is to play several individual Oblits for tactical flexibility, but I think I need to play-test that! You can have up to 6 Hvy Support units in a Spearhead detachment, but maybe you were planning to have a Battalion.

      Delete
    3. I'm afraid the stratagem card explicitly says VotLW can't be used on renegade astartes.

      Which is most unfair - since when do you have to only be at the start of a war to be considered a 'veteran' of it?

      Delete
    4. I had completely missed that (I assumed it was the same as the DG version) - thanks for pointing it out ahead of a game against Kasfunatu when I might well have misused it.

      Delete
  5. Looking good! It's a shame they actually got nerfed somewhat by their update (The price increase more than outweighs the statline and equipment improvements. Two of these are about as good as three of the old ones, while costing significantly more.), but they are still a solid source of heavy firepower, and they look awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you're not wrong about their effectiveness - still, they're better than their poor cousins, the Mutilators.

      Delete
    2. In every regard. Those poor guys need new Models and Rules, stat.

      Delete
  6. I understand that this is quite the old post, however, what colours did you use for the fleshy parts, as I would quite like to use this as a reference for my own purge oblits if that's okay with you? Much love and an amazing paint job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much! The flesh parts were very quick and dirty: Rakarth Flesh base, Reikland Flesh wash, and then a thinned-down Typhus Corrosion wash to darken it up and add some gritty texture.
      Hope that helps.

      Delete