Thursday, 6 August 2026

I, for one, welcome


 Robot sentinels - very much in keeping with Stylus's recent painting. Even more or less the same colours as some of them!

This is the final unit for the Thousand Sons, the capstone to their pyramid if you will. For now, obviously, you never know what Kas will decide he needs further down the line. 

Seeing as I'm about to move on to other things, I have captured the process for posterity. Here goes:

Basecoated in what I think is Grey Seer, courtesy of the owner. Army Painter sand effect paste with cork and sprue.

Kas had actually started some of these at home - not sure what his dark pink is. Pink Horror maybe? Anyway, I rinsed everything in Pylar Glacier.

Then the back machinery got Black Templar, and everything was then hit hard with Ulthuan Grey and White Scar drybrushing. Looks pretty dusty, but gets it all highlit fast and will be cleaned up later.

Basecoats - Stormcast Gold, Warlock Pink, Ahriman Blue and Neon Green.

Washes next - Carroberg Crimson on the pink, Seraphim Sepia on the gold, some very sparing Nuln Oil on the recessed armour or places where the drybrushing got out of hand, then heavy Nuln Oil on all the black bits.

By this point, they were pretty much done. Quick double highlights of pink mixed up towards white, some bright silver for pipes and pistons, Ancient gold mixed with silver for the shiny bits and some very light blue highlighting with Lothern blue.
Finally, tidying up the white with thin wet layers, partly to correct mistakes and partly to remove the dusty look of the drybrush. The base has been done with Aggaros Dune drybrushed lightly with Light Sand, rimmed as ever in Black. 

This process is what I've used for the whole army. It's been fun, and now I am very ready to paint something in none of these colours for a long time! Here are the rest. 

Four of them have magnetic arm options, claw or meltagun. It is not easy to spot which two don't have magnets; I only broke off an arm once.


The sprue bits are done with Typhus Corrosion and two washes of rust powders, one dark and one light.
This one has some old offcuts in the base, a kind of Ogremandias* thing going on. 

And that's the lot! Three units of two, or one of two and one of four, depending on how you magnetise and pay for them. Nice and quick compared to the Tzaangor, and already in a box and heading for their homeworld. Their army page is sorted too, if you're interested. They're the Irtdsr Esbat (or Pink Eye Coven, in the common tongue). 


That means next, I've got some of my own models to paint! 

*If you're not familiar with the epic poem Ogremandias, here it is in full:

Ogremandias


I met a gnobblar from an antique land

Who said: Boss! dere’s two big chunks a stone

Wot look like legs. By ‘em, on da sand,

All sunk-like, dere is a bonce. ‘Is face

‘As got a proper gob on, like ‘is lunch got canned,

Or like old Fanggut when dere’s no more bread.

It’s proper scary, seein’ dat look on stony fings,

It’s like dey’s real life! Gave me proper dread:

On da bottom bit, I fink I seed

A bunch of words, probly names of kings

And dat, you know, but I don’t read.

Dere’s nuffin dere to eat. I checked meself,

So as you and all da uvver bosses need a feed

We’d better zog right off to somewhere else.


No comments:

Post a Comment