Friday, 7 August 2026

Hobnobbing

 Surprise, web-head!

Marvel Crisis Protocol - Green Goblin painted as Hobgoblin

The problem with creating an iconic arch-nemesis, with an iconic death scene, is that the character is, at the end of the day, dead.

Not that death is ever permanent in comics (except you, Uncle Ben), but while the writers were trying to work out the Green Goblin villain saga, they brought in a number of duplicates and imposters, one of which was ... The Hobgoblin!

In short, he's a guy that found the deceased Green Goblin's gear and decided that seemed like a great idea. Other than the colours of his costume, he's pretty similar in power-set to the Green Goblin (without a strong backstory, because they switched writers during his build-up). 

However, Hobgoblin was the first Spider-Man comic I ever read (around the age of 6, barely understanding a word of it), so I have an unlikely attachment to the character. There's no official model yet, so when I had a spare Green Goblin model, I got to work on a proxy.

Marvel Crisis Protocol - Green Goblin painted as Hobgoblin

His robes are based Wild Rider Red, with a 50/50 layer of Troll Slayer Orange and Averland Sunset. his limbs are Sotek Green base (I should have gone darker) and Ahriman Blue. The glider was Daemonette Hide, washed with Druchii Violet and reapplied Daemonette Hide.

I went with black smoke (as opposed to Green Goblin's white smoke), as I don't think glider maintenance is top of his priorities. Finally, I thought there was already enough orange going on, so his pumpkin bomb is a little under-ripe.

More Spider-Foes to follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment