Monday 25 April 2022

Here There Be Daemons

Reader, I've been neglectful of you, but that ends here.

Burning Chariot for Warhammer 40k and Age of Sigmar

Here comes a cavalcade of painting updates!

I've been quiet for a couple of months, but that doesn't mean I haven't been hobbying. Quite the reverse: in addition to two more instalments of my Hobbypocalypse quota, I've been painting like mad to get ready for a narrative campaign for Deployment Zone (so you can add another 2,000pts of painted stuff since January). And then, I filmed the campaign. 

But now it's all wrapped, and I can take the brakes off a little, it's back to regular battle reports and painting updates.

First off: assorted daemons!

Changecaster for Warhammer 40k and Age of Sigmar

My first waves of daemons were all themed by deity, so these are all the ones I picked up since, or neglected to paint first time around.

Starting off with the Fateskimmer (Tzeentch Herald on Chariot to you) or the Burning Chariot (which is the same, but with an Exalted Flamer swapped over - naturally I magnetised them).

The Herald (a Changecaster, when he's on foot) himself was a practice with Apothecary White contrast paint - which meant that even when he was base coated and drybrushed, he didn't even look started (which I why I lost heart and left him on the shelf for so long). But the idea was to thin down some Volpus Pink contrast and blend it in from the hands, feet and tentacle-hair and I'm quite glad with how it worked out.

The rest of the chariot was simple enough, being the same scheme as the many other Screamers I'd painted. And the Exalted Flamer was already done and awaiting his steed.

Fateskimmer for Warhammer 40k and Age of Sigmar

The next Burning Chariot was an eBay rescue. It had also been magnetised, but for some reason the previous owner had glued the Exalted Flamer to the disc and magnetised that to the flames below. And odd choice, and not really good for anything else, but it made it quick to paint (those flames are just Iyanden Yellow contrast), easy to transport, and a bargain's a bargain.

Burning Chariot for Warhammer 40k and Age of Sigmar

Next up were some Horrors. I'd always wanted the full set, as I love the theme, but balked at the cost of models who were, frankly, pretty useless. As fate would have it, I found a whole batch available on eBay from a collector who had assembled the lot, and then apparently given an exasperated sigh at all there was to paint, and abandoned the project (I've been there, my friend).

So I got all the Horrors I needed for a decent price. The Pinks were a new direction for me: I'd intended to paint all my daemons in contrast (as well as avoiding gold, to keep a general colour theme).

Pink Horror for Warhammer 40k and Age of SigmarPink Horror for Warhammer 40k and Age of Sigmar

But I just didn't like the last batch of Horrors I painted - insufficiently pink for me.

Pink Horror for Warhammer 40k and Age of SigmarPink Horror for Warhammer 40k and Age of Sigmar

So I went back to acrylics and basecoated these with Pink Horror (the clue's in the name there) with Emperor's Children drybrush.

Pink Horror for Warhammer 40k and Age of SigmarPink Horror for Warhammer 40k and Age of Sigmar

I even added golden jewellery and instruments, which also makes them pop most satisfactorily.

Pink Horror for Warhammer 40k and Age of SigmarPink Horror for Warhammer 40k and Age of Sigmar

They lack the depth of the other ones, but I'm infinitely happier with them and wouldn't rule out going back over the previous set.

Pink Horror for Warhammer 40k and Age of Sigmar

So I guess the lesson is: dedication to a theme is a fine thing, but you've got to follow your gut about what you like.

Pink Horror for Warhammer 40k and Age of Sigmar

I got all of these done in less than a week (I was working to a frantic deadline) and just in time for my first all-Tzeentch Daemons battle! (watch this space)

Pink Horrors for Warhammer 40k and Age of Sigmar

The batch of Blue Horrors were easier to paint, having generally fewer details to worry about.

Blue Horror for Warhammer 40k and Age of SigmarBlue Horror for Warhammer 40k and Age of Sigmar

The basecoats had already been done for me (Talassar Blue, I suspect), so all that remained was a lot of drybrushing with Lothern Blue.

Blue Horror for Warhammer 40k and Age of SigmarBlue Horror for Warhammer 40k and Age of Sigmar

Teeth, eyes, tongues and bracelets were simple enough - I got to stick to my 'no gold' policy, as the silver jewellery works better here.

Blue Horror for Warhammer 40k and Age of SigmarBlue Horror for Warhammer 40k and Age of Sigmar

The pink flames were a let down - I had bought some Vallejo fluorescent pink a while back. Its first application came out all tacky, and by the time I used it on these flames, it had separated and was quite useless.

Blue Horror for Warhammer 40k and Age of SigmarBlue Horror for Warhammer 40k and Age of Sigmar

I persevered over all 20 models (just in case it came out different when it dried), but I went back to the traditional methods of layer and highlight, and it probably took as long as everything else.

Blue Horror for Warhammer 40k and Age of SigmarBlue Horror for Warhammer 40k and Age of Sigmar

I should comment on how much I like the sculpts for these Blue Horrors. They tend to get neglected on the table, being neither as useful as Pinks, or as cheap as Brimstones, but I would very gladly see more of them.

Blue Horror for Warhammer 40k and Age of Sigmar

Fun fact about the Horrors: the Pinks are ecstatically cheerful, but they split to become two sullen and miserable Blue Horrors. There's GW's perspective on mental health for you.

Blue Horrors for Warhammer 40k and Age of Sigmar

And then we have the Brimstone Horrors!

Brimstone Horrors for Warhammer 40k and Age of Sigmar

Once the flame colours have been added here (Iyanden Yellow and Gryph-Hound Orange), it's basically adding the eyes and they're done!

Brimstone Horrors for Warhammer 40k and Age of Sigmar

The catch with these little buggers was the bases. All my chaos models have snow bases, but how would that work around creatures composed entirely of fire?

Brimstone Horrors for Warhammer 40k and Age of Sigmar

The solution was to get some water-effect resin, and drip it (carefully, for it's not stuff to be trifled with) onto to the bases before the Valhallen Blizzard had set.

Brimstone Horrors for Warhammer 40k and Age of Sigmar

Then I basically swished it around with a cocktail stick, to get the effect of melting slush. Not sure how I came out, but it's a nod to their fiery essence.

Brimstone Horrors for Warhammer 40k and Age of Sigmar

And in the personality of Horrors: Brimstones just stink. They are spiteful creatures with no illusions to their place in the daemonic pecking order and are not at all pleased about it.

Brimstone Horrors for Warhammer 40k and Age of Sigmar

Now to switch to a daemon who's nothing but good times - the Sloppity Bilepiper!

Sloppity Bilepiper for Warhammer 40k and Age of Sigmar

Really easy addition to my Nurgle forces (and useful on the field too - his ability can keep a unit of Plaguebearers regenerating all game). Plaguebearer Flesh contrast and Nurgling Green drybrush for the basics, and then touches of contrast paint elsewhere.

Nurgle is definitely my favourite for using contrast paints. I could almost convince myself I needed another Start Collecting! set.

And now my favourite model in the range - the Beast of Nurgle!

Ridiculously expensive in a points-per-pounds calculation, he was still an absolute treat to paint. I also veered from the contrast method a little, by starting him with a Mournfang Brown undercoat, and then many light drybrushes of the Kislev Flesh air paint. The air paint is so thin, it picks out the detail, but very gradually.

With that taken care, I could go over with contrast: Plaguebearer Flesh for the body, Militarum Green for the tentacles, and a variety of washes to pick out the delightful innards. Great fun!

Beast of Nurgle for Warhammer 40k and Age of Sigmar

Last, but no means least, is the Daemon Prince of Khorne!

I basically had this one spare, and needed an HQ to lead my Bloodletters. His arms are magnetised, so he can serve as a Daemon Prince for my Black Legion if needed (although I'm finding that daemon princes aren't all they once were).

I can't decide if those big vents on his back are meant to represent wings, or just look freaky.

Daemon Prince of Khorne for Warhammer 40k and Age of Sigmar

But that should be enough for now - more painting updates to follow!

6 comments:

  1. Horrific.

    Great stuff, you’ve clearly been busy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Busy at everything but blogging - I've got some catching up to do!

      Delete
  2. The chariots in particular look fantastic, really cool. I agree on the Pink Horrors: I think contrast would be better for a pink animal, but for an entity composed of magical pink energy the brighter colours with less depth is better

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think a repaint of the original batch is inevitable.

      Delete
  3. Brimstone horrors have always been a favourite of mine and the paint scheme is great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having played the 'splitting' mechanic a few times, I think it has real fun potential.

      Delete