Wednesday 27 April 2022

Getting Into Difficultists


 Sorry, boys, but you just have too much fine detail for a horde.


Smashing models, though! Even as I've cursed my way through each elaborate backpack, looped chest wire or quadruple-buckled boot, I am fully aware that the humble cult Neophytes really are a tremendous set of sculpts. Thank goodness, I'll be painting a lot of them. 


A wise man recently told me you need at least fifty of these bods on the board before your army really sings. Something to do with the choral sound of miners, I suppose. Well, I've got twelve already, even if they were built as Brood Brothers before they became very much a separate thing, so I'm on the way. 


This set are a shooty autogun lot, with maximal special and heavy weapons. I'm entirely swayed by how cool they look at the moment, so flamers and webbers (grenade launchers are so 20th century), then a sonic cannon, but a stubber as well because I've already got one of their industrial lasers. Pop them out somewhere unexpected and let loose with a lot of ambush shooting, is the plan. 


A banner, so they can summon extra pals, and a leader with some extra tools, and then that's this lot done. Time for some leadership options! 



A Magus gives some really fun psychic options, especially with his tiny scuttling pal, plus can give someone a reasonable surprise in close combat if he gets the charge in. Not the most survivable character? But given that all the cultists nearby might be able to tank hits (if they're still alive), he might hang about for a while. The male one isn't quite as nice a sculpt as the stalking female one, but he's the one who came in Shadow Throne, so that's who I've got. He gets a bulbous head courtesy of a Black Fortress chaos magus, so he can do his best Sloth impression. 


And that's this week's batch done - plenty more where these came from.

9 comments:

  1. Extra cool points for the webbers. No idea what they do, but you don't see enough of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're like flamers with fewer hits that do occasional mortal wounds - a bit niche, but they just look so cool I can't help myself. Conversely, they are flat-out busted in Necromunda, and I really ought to retrofit at least one on to my Delaque gang!

      Delete
  2. Always good to see more Cultists around in the internet. Nice job! Like the colours.

    And looks to be a pretty decent Necromunda gang at this size too, I think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Squeezing them into Necromunda was the main reason I started the Cult army! Unlike my other gangs, this lot will really be able to field anything with appropriate models by the time I've finished. Maybe even bikes for outside road trips for when the new rules land...

      Delete
  3. Big Brain Brian is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't even know Webbers still existed in 40k! They do look cool, so I completely agree with your choice...except...I would deploy magnets!!! The sculpts do look really good and you've done a cracking job painting them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can magnetise a vehicle, but I draw the line at 6-point troopers!

      Delete
    2. That's a fair point! I have magnetised 12-point CSM but even there I wasn't sure it was worth it.

      Delete