Monday 4 April 2022

EXT: Waste Incinerator


 Time to recycle!

A new batch of commission painting and the backbone of my two new armies has just arrived (just in time for the return of the Squats! Why wasn't I given more warning? I can't start three armies in a year!). But there was still a week where I had nothing to paint, so I went through my backlog of collected junk. 

This is made from the protective plastic tub inside a packet of cookies, filled with insulating foam and then stuck to a card base. As usual, the insulating foam was a devil to work with - as it dries, it tends to trap a gooey interior layer inside (just like the cookies has), which is still full of whatever noxious gases this stuff makes. The gas gets trapped and tends to bloat the plastic packing up, so it swells and loses the clean lines that made me think 'industrial scenery' in the first place. For this one, I had to cut holes in the top to deflate it after a day or so. 


Even after that, two days later the towers were looking cockeyed again and had to be removed so I could cut more trepanning holes. Luckily, those were easily covered by the towers (spray can lids, card and pdf offcuts). Add some plastic plants, rocks, flock and tufts, along with some quick and sloppy paint, and there you go - a neat addition for my jungle base collection. The chipping layers on the paint didn't work so well this time, I didn't wait long enough for the hairspray to dry so it blended with the outer layer too much. But the plastic underneath was pretty much the right colour of dark brown anyway, so it didn't matter too much. 

Next - finally, I'm back to 40k!

1 comment:

  1. Looks great: any residual deformation doesn't show up at all at this scale. And I love the huge tree!

    ReplyDelete