Wednesday 29 May 2019

Brothers in Armigers



Kasfunatu doesn't have enough models yet. Here are some more.


This matched pair of Armigers is the first of two. The others have (of course!) magnetised weapon options, and I just couldn't quite stomach painting more of those on the back of the Rhino Hatch Extravaganza.

Nice models. Kind of unremarkable? I mean, they're small knights, they hit all the notes you'd expect and pretty well. You could go to all kinds of extremes with paint schemes and heraldry, but these two I kept relatively simple in the Crypt Angels colours (red, black and brass). The other two might come out a bit more ad-mech-y, we'll see.


There's two of them, so they get the astrological symbol for Gemini as their badge, as well as some vaguely related alchemical icons too. Related to change and mutability, from what I understand, as are the Crypt Angels, currently. Nothing too obviously chaotic, of course, we wouldn't want to alarm the Inquisitors.


On the side, I kept a couple of my own models going. Interesting ones, these. The first is from a game called The Edge: Dawnfall, something Kas Kickstarted last year and has a ton of models for. Never played it, don't know much more!


He gave me a free set of one faction, The Darkness, which has lots of tentacles and bones going on. This is apparently a Prime Shadow, and a chirpy-seeming type it is. Hexagonal bases! Very futuristic.
I had a go at Zenithal Priming with this one, spraying it black, then a quick burst of white from above, and then just coloured it with washes and inks. It took twenty minutes and came out as shown above.


Not bad for almost no work, but also not quite doing it justice I felt. The colours aren't really bright enough, and the details don't pop enough, although it's certainly tabletop ready. A few more minutes (let's leave it unspecified), and I'm happy to call it done!


The other random stranger is this guy, who was thrown in free with my Deep Madness pledge. It's a model for another game the maker is developing, apparently based on Chinese mythology. The game is called Celestial, this guy is called Lei, he's a 54mm scale dude who would work perfectly well as some kind of Warhammer sorcerer character. Nice to do something for fantasy again!

2 comments:

  1. I really do like the Armigers. They've got the Knight aesthetic, but they're smaller and thus cuter, quicker to paint, and easier to work into a game without balance issues. The astrological/alchemical inconography looks great here!

    I cast Magic Missile. At the Darkness! I'll have to check that line out. Looks like some stuff that could work well for Chaos, one way or another. I also like how they did multi-space bases for a hex-based game there. I don't think I've seen that before. I might have to check out Celestial as well. I have a couple of 54mm Models from Inquisitor, and it might be cool to get them some similarly-scaled friends if the price is reasonable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got some Inquisitor models left (I miss that game!) - they're a bit more heroic scale than this bit from Celestial, but it's not a bad match! Not sure if the game is out yet, though, haven't heard anything about it since the promo stuff with the Deep Madness Kickstarter.

      There's a box set of Edge shrines and portals I'd love to get hold of. Really nice terrain. The other models are a very interesting mix of Dynamics and styles, some great biomechanical horrors and dwarven mechs in there.

      Delete