Monday 3 December 2018

The Jolly Red Fellow

It was always going to happen. When I built my cabinet last year, I made sure there was enough clearance on the shelves to fit in this big fella.

Magnus the Red for Thousand Sons, Warhammer 40,000

So here's Magnus!



The Daemon Primarch of the Thousand Sons seems to be a popular model (I'm sure the 2D6 mortal wound spell has nothing to do with that!), and I've done nothing particularly ground-breaking in his paint job. Frankly, he was my first Lord of War, so my main priority was not to stuff it up.

Magnus the Red for Thousand Sons, Warhammer 40,000

I won't go down the laundry list of paints, since Warhammer Duncan does a far better job, and I stuck pretty closely for the principle bits.

Where I did go a little off-piste was with the wings. Instead of picking out the details of the feathers, I tried to make them look like a cosmic backdrop, with nebulas and stars and the like.

Magnus the Red for Thousand Sons, Warhammer 40,000

For all my misgivings, painting this guy wasn't an ordeal at all. With the wings, armour and body painted in sub-assemblies, it's easy to focus on getting all the elements right - such as that characteristic red skin - before everything glues together.

On reflection, he's probably the easier Primarch to paint - not having the detailed filigree of Guilliman, nor the what-is-going-on-there of Mortarion.

I magnetised his base, which was probably unnecessary, but might help with transport. More usefully, I dropped a few magnets in the breastplate, as I'm not sure which version I prefer.

By sheer luck (or maybe I'm a secret genius), the magnets are close enough for a secure fit, but don't actually make contact with the model - so the armour can pop on and off without harming the paint job.

Magnus the Red for Thousand Sons, Warhammer 40,000
St Tropez beaches, here I come.

It's a splendid centrepiece, and I'm very happy with him. I'm not sure how often he'll actually see the table, since he's either a beatstick or a liability. Maybe for special occasions and family reunions.

14 comments:

  1. I really like what you did with the wings there. Looks, like, totally cosmic and stuff, man ;)

    Usually, I'm the first to argue for more armour on a Model, but in this case, between the various defenses provided by his Daemonic nature and Psychic Powers, I don't think he really needs it, and, apologies to Mr. Blanche, but the nipple horns are just too over the top for me.

    Makes me wonder: Has he ever gone around blind for a while, because they morphed at some inconvenient time and he poked himself in his one remaining eye? Seems to me there are probably at least a few Lords of Change (not to mention the Changeling) who would find that hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all fun and games until someone's eye gets poked out with an extended nipple horn.

      Delete
  2. If I was that buff, I wouldn't want to cover it with nipple horns either. Smashing job! And I 'look forward' to facing him again at some point in the future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm sure there's plenty of Hive Fleet horrors that could nom nom even a Daemon Primarch.

      Delete
    2. Fewer than you might think. Both GW and FW seem really hesitant to give Nids a truly impressive LoW. The closest they get is something that hits like a Knight Gallant, but costs like a Knight Castellan.

      Delete
    3. I suspect there's enough nastiness in the regular 'Nid forces to cause Magnus to break sweat - if Hive Fleet Afanc is up for the challenge!

      Delete
    4. Not sure - Swarmlord might give him pause in cc, but catching him might be tricky. Hive guard can shoot from distance but I don't have any. Tons of spore mines?

      Delete
    5. I think I'd actually feel more confident with Tempestus melta strike teams backed with Daemonhammer Inquisitors!

      Delete
    6. I think, as with everything in 8th Ed, volume of fire is the key. With his invulnerable save, I don't think small amounts of high-damage work as well. In our last battle, Magnus took most damage from rapid-fire boltguns after all.

      My fear against 'Nids would be Rupture Cannons, Miasma Cannons and all those 'Gants with fleshborers. Not to mention all the psychic shenanigans they can pull.

      Still, a couple of Taurox with Gatling Cannons could do the trick too.

      Delete
    7. Low volume of fire wouldnt be the problem (I could land up to eight meltas round him on turn two, for example). Weathering my kind of counterpunch - unlikely!

      But this is starting to clamour for a proper resolution on the field of Battle, of course.

      Delete
    8. Yeah, you talk plenty tough over the internet - but how tough are you over Skype! (a different kind of internet)

      Delete
    9. Oh, yeah, Nids can take him out. They just don't have any big bads on that kind of scale, even tho they're really supposed to. They drop someone like that by just drowning them in Hormagaunts, Genestealers, and/or Devourer worms.

      Delete
  3. I must not get Mortarion. As it stands, Magnus is a one-off and very nice thankyouverymuch.

    I get Mortarion, and now I've started a Daemon Primarch collection...

    (and if snake-Fulgrim is anything like snake-Morathi, he's going to be one sick model)

    ReplyDelete