Tuesday 11 December 2018

I Painted Some Terrain (And I Liked It!)

Don't get too excited now. But I did actually manage to build and paint several pieces of scenery.

Imperial Armoured Containers kit from Kromlech

I'm off to have a little lie down...

My reticence to do any kind of scenery is well-recorded. Unlike Kraken's terrain workshop, we've been blogging for six years, and the only thing I've ever posted has been some pre-painted stuff.

Imperial Armoured Containers kit from Kromlech

So I was never going to do anything until my toes were held to the fire.

Fortunately, I was given some of the Kromlech kits to build for Winters SEO. I'm much more motivated when doing stuff for others, so this stuff was done in a couple of sessions.

Imperial Armoured Containers kit from Kromlech

These arrive as A4 sheets of laser-cut MDF, with some basic instructions - you push out the pieces and glue them together. Kromlech do lots of terrain like this (their Orky stuff is luvverly), some of which look quite intricate and detailed. Luckily, I was assigned boxes. And even I can do boxes.

Imperial Supply Containers & Crates kit from Kromlech

The first set was 'Imperial Armoured Containers' - these are the octagonal ones, that take a little bit longer to assemble, and are on par with the GW Munitorum Armoured Containers (for a third of the price).

The other set was 'Imperial Supply Containers & Crates' - just basic cuboids, but you get three little boxes as bonus terrain.

Imperial Supply Containers & Crates kit from Kromlech

I quite like the blank canvas that these basic boxes offer - so I dressed them up a little with some Imperium posters, and a wee bit of graffiti.

Imperial Supply Containers & Crates kit from Kromlech
"People called Astartes, they go, the house?"

Painting these was a simple matter. Armed with a number of rattle cans from Halfords, I gave them all a thorough undercoat of Black (MDF is meant to soak up paint - I didn't see much a problem, but I did use the paint liberally).

After that, they got a 'half-hearted' spraycoat of their colour - by which I mean: I wafted the spray around them, getting the colour on them, but leaving the shade of the black beneath. The colours were cans of The Fang, Ironbreaker, Mechanicus Standard Grey, or just some basic Red car spray.

Imperial Supply Containers & Crates and Imperial Armoured Containers kits from Kromlech

So that's the full set - a decent whack of scenery for around £16. I neglected to take any pictures with miniatures for scale, but one of them is enough to hide infantry, and two stacks would hide anything other than a Lord of War or really big vehicle.

They're shipped off to Swindon now, so maybe they'll appear on YouTube one of these days (unless Winters takes one look at them and bins them for my poor Latin).

I enjoyed that, and I wouldn't mind a set myself. I'm really tempted to buy another pack for myself and drag my scenery collection into the 41st millennium.

But... you know ... I can't be bothered painting scenery. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2 comments:

  1. I have a boatload of MDF scenery to paint at the moment, and it's pretty dull going. Great price, great function and looks good, but there's no detail unless you paint it on. At least it's fairly quick and messy!

    Every time I look at the TTCombat Sandstorm bundle, I think of your desert table.

    ReplyDelete