Friday 21 December 2018

Does Anyone Have a Hanky?

Just a few last updates before the year ends. S'not much.

Chaos Spawn for Warhammer


First up: another Chaos Spawn! You can never have too many, and the kit is just too much fun to stop.

Chaos Spawn for Warhammer

Spawn are like a Christmas selection box. They come in dozens of varieties; once you start, you can't stop at one; and they don't last long when they're on the table.

This one is going for the insectoid vibe - and easily painted with Death Guard Green basecoat, followed by a series of washes (Agrax all over, Carroburg Crimson for the claw, Coelia Greenshade for the spikes). I also thought that Chaos Black followed by Ardcoat on the eyes was a nice touch.

The added bonus here was the discovery of Bostik All-Purpose glue, which can be easily applied and leave these strands of mucus over the model. It seems to be pretty robust when it dries too. Not brittle, but capable of being chucked about a bit.

Chaos Cultists headswaps

Here are a couple of new Cultists I added to my Thousand Sons squads - just so I could have full squads of ten without taking the expensive (and mostly useless) special weapons.

And finally ... I think this is the only fantasy model I've painted all year (way back in January). An old plastic Bright Wizard, given away as a present - but it all counts to the painting tally!

Warhammer Fantasy Bright Wizard
I'll bet you good money that his new owner has dropped or trodden on him by now.

That's all for now. I'm off to find more things to Bostik.

6 comments:

  1. That's really just bostic? Nice result! I tried stuff with a glue gun and just made an awful tangled mess that fell off again in moments. Which is probably a metaphor for my life in some way, but I won't dwell on that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep - literally just applied from the tube with a toothpick. It stuck in all right places and gave this effect.
      It's since been thrown about in transport and come out the other side, so it's strong stuff.

      Get yourself some Bostik. Your Nids will thank you.

      Delete
  2. That Spawn looks great! Nice and gribbly in a "mixing bits from every possible sub-category of Arthropoda" kind of way. They really are fun to make, whether from the kit itself, or converting them from various other things.

    I'll have to try the Bostik thing. Thanks for the tip!

    That Bright Wizard takes me back! I used that Model for my Sorcerer in a D&D campaign I was in back in college. I had his hair and beard all painted up as fire, tho, because he'd had a permanent flame illusion cast on them, due to a rivalry with the other Sorcerer in the group, both of whom were trying to out-do the other in pretty much every regard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Spawn are so much fun - it's a good job the kit is prohibitively expensive, or else I'd be trying out every combination.

      Nice to hear someone else like the Bright Wizard. I miss painting up models for RPG sessions - it's nice sometimes to have every detail count for something, rather than churning out cannon fodder.

      Delete
    2. That's a lot of why I've been getting more into smaller-scope games like Shadespire. I can really take the time to go to town on 3-9 Models, and not have to worry about getting another several dozen up to at least decent at the same time.

      Delete