Saturday 24 December 2016

Devils From The Realms Of Glory

On the twenty-fourth day of Advent the WoffBoot brought to me ... the gates of hell opened!

The last day of the Advent traditionally has the biggest door - so buckle up for this update!

Dungeon Quest's Infernal Crypts expansion. Ironically, while the rest of this advent challenge has spurred me to finish off models, this project was already taking shape over November until they all got shoved off the painting table so I could paint everything else.

Drech’nok the Destroyer - Infernal Crypts expansion for Mantic's Dungeon Saga

The pint-sized end-level boss himself - Drech’nok the Destroyer. Probably my favourite model in the set (size notwithstanding).

Lower Abyssal - Infernal Crypts expansion for Mantic's Dungeon Saga

I went with traditional colours for these demons: Khorne Red with Nuln Oil wash; Retributor Armour with Reikland Flesh wash; Zandri Dust cloth, horns and spines with Agrax Earthshade wash.

Lower Abyssal - Infernal Crypts expansion for Mantic's Dungeon Saga

I gave all the demons Slayer Orange eyes with Averland Sunset pupils - and while that doesn't seem immediately apparent (even in the merciless definition of a digital camera), you'll have to take my word for it. At least the obscurity prevents them from having my usual boss-eyed appearance.

Lower Abyssal Flamebearer - Infernal Crypts expansion for Mantic's Dungeon Saga

The fireballs were a new challenge: layers of Slayer Orange, Averland Sunset and White Scar, then washed over with Cassandora Yellow (which seems second only to Agrax Earthshade as a 'hide all the painting sins' wash).

Abyssal Guard - Infernal Crypts expansion for Mantic's Dungeon Saga

I'm still not connived these prancing guys with the flimsy javelins look like elite Abyssal Guard - so I ramped up the gold armour on them to compensate.

Hellhound - Infernal Crypts expansion for Mantic's Dungeon Saga

The Hellhounds are easy enough to paint, having no gear or weapons. Although adding more heads means more eyes and teeth to paint, which just seems cruel.

Tortured Soul - Infernal Crypts expansion for Mantic's Dungeon Saga

Ahh, the Tortured Souls - breaking up the all-red colour scheme. These guys were mostly Rakarth Flesh with Nuln Oil wash, then rusted chains and the same fireball effects.

Speaking of fireballs, it seems that the fireballs on these models are *supposed* to be drooping down in that uninspiring way (no hot water would remedy it). A strange choice ... maybe they're aiming for kneecaps.

Succubus - Infernal Crypts expansion for Mantic's Dungeon Saga

And now we come to the chainmail bikini section of the range. Not a bad sculpt (although the face starts to lose detail), and one of the more dynamic models in the group. I'm not sure how the heavy moon boots add to the the Succubus' lithe and swift style, but I guess it's better then stiletto heels.

I didn't use gold for this model, reckoning than silver was more appropriate. So while the blades are Ironbreaker (as they all are), the armour is Stormhost Silver with a glaze of Drakenhof Blue.

Effrit - Infernal Crypts expansion for Mantic's Dungeon Saga

The Effrit was a model I enjoyed painting (although his mouth is nonexistent on the sculpt). It was nice to have a good try with fire effects: Slayer Orange, Averland Sunset and White Scar, then Cassandora Yellow wash.

Speaking of fire, I used the same colours (without the White Scar) to fill in the cracks of the base, turning it from a dungeon base into a lava base. It certainly seemed like a good idea on the first base, and had me questioning its worth (and my sanity) by the nineteenth - those cracks are small!

Moloch - Infernal Crypts expansion for Mantic's Dungeon Saga

The monstrous infantry slot is taken by the Moloch. He's no Zombie Troll, but he'll suffice. I made more of his armour bone-coloured, rather than metal, to give the impression that most of these protrusions grow directly out of him.

Infernal Crypts expansion for Mantic's Dungeon Saga

And here's the whole set, just to prove I painted it all. I got a third bag of minions from the Kickstarter, but since they're not needed for the game, the models have gone into the seven circles of the bitz box.

All very hellish. And of all the Meat Loaf songs that I could have been listening to while I painted, it was this little ditty that got stuck in my head.


And as I neared completion, and realised I was ahead of schedule, I started to get cocky, and added the two new adventurers as well.

Venetia, Human Cleric - Infernal Crypts expansion for Mantic's Dungeon Saga

I like Venetia, the warrior nun (mostly for how well the Averland Sunset is set off with the Seraphim Sepia) although that is a very knock-kneed stance she has - maybe try a lighter flail?

Arianya, Naiad Demonhunter - Infernal Crypts expansion for Mantic's Dungeon Saga

Arianya, the Naiad demonhunter, was a more of a chore. That was mostly because it took me a few attempts to get that pale-blue skin right (and I fear my best effort was several layers beneath). The all-black amour/wetsuit doesn't lend itself much to painting - I did most of it with Mechanicus Standard Grey, drybrushed with Dawnstone, leaving only the knee and shoulder pads Chaos Black - but it all looks a bit nondescript.

And thus ends my festive painting frenzy! I doubt if I've had a more prolific month, but it's been a great way to tidy away half-finished models, not to mention a chance to revisit almost every game or army in my collection.


But the important question is: what's that done to my leadpile tally?

3 comments:

  1. No devils on horseback with the Christmas roast? Infernal.

    You are right about their blobby faces, I found them very smooth and hard to bring out too. Lovely work though, and I am vastly impressed other the sheer volume! My numbers are dropping over these last few months, I need to pull my socks up. For now, though, just stockings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, it's been a fun exercise, and one that's really reinvigorated my hobby mojo. Thankfully, there's always plenty more in the leadpile for next year!

      Delete
  2. The most likely explanation is the fireballs the Tortured Soul throws are Mario-style bouncing ones.

    ReplyDelete