A week is a long time in hobby.
Horseman Wells
Lots of little updates here, nothing I could quite bring myself to dedicate a whole post to. First up is the last thing off the paint queue:
It's a Centaur RSV for my Tempestus Scions! Do Scions need a cheap lightweight transport? No, not remotely! I liked the model a lot, though, so I got one.
I wasn't up to painting separate crew in the compartment. Not sure why, I'm usually a glutton for that kind of punishment. No, this time I kept them apart for other purposes, and improvised some camo netting out of kitchen roll, PVA and the plastic netting from a bag of oranges.
It's the usual Hagan Lamprey White work-up, with heaps of texture paint, sponge work and transfers. Your driver today is Cpl. Lombrek 'Shroom' Breveid, that's his badge on the door.
It's not going to the be last tank for the Hagans this autumn, watch this space.
Sons on the Run
A couple of nights ago, Kas and I had a quick bout of 40k. His sons had all arrived, so I had a go at piloting a list against his latest tournament daemons. It was short notice, played via Zoom and not recorded, so no photos or maps. Just death!
I'd taken Hexmark Coven, who are Take and Hold. All Rubricae and Scarabs, pretty much, lots of flamers, lots of nasty psychic abilities with rerolls on wounds. Against them were a cavalcade of super-fast Slaaneshi Daemons (I don't know the full details, you'll have to ask Kas, but they could advance and charge, some of them had extra strength and there were a trio of very nasty chariots as a fast punch unit) who were playing Priority Assets.
I managed a reasonably strong start after getting hit with a turn one charge from Daemonettes. Scarabs and Rubrics between them escaped the net, killed a Keeper of Secrets (in melee!) and flooded the left flank where I slowly trotted forwards on to his home objective and racked up scores.
The right belonged to Slaanesh, though, and they slowly managed to sweep back across the board, wiping out my stuff as they went. There were hard lessons on the way; Kas learned that flamers on overwatch don't need to wait for you to move any more, I learned that Scarab Terminators are not as resistant to spiky chariot wheels as you'd hope.
By the end of the game, I'd run out of units. Although I'd racked up a respectable 77 points, the Daemons had maxed everything at 100, and that was game. Good one, though, I was surprised at how manouverable yet tough the Sons are and very impressed with big flamer units. Glad I painted them!
The Main Event
Here's what I'm really excited about, though. I went back to work a week before my kids, and my youngest felt so sorry for me, she made a very grand gesture.
"Daddy, I will agree to play Necromunda with you," she said with great largesse. "I will do it tomorrow, and you will have to remind me that I promise to do it, because I will probably want to do something else instead by then." Very direct, my kids, very Swedish.
Once I'd calmed down and finished crowding her floor with minis, we had a go at playing a very simple 'steal the loot crates' game. She picked Van Saar for their cool hoverboards, she picked Cawdor for me ("they look like the weakest"), and we had a go at it.
I did my best to explain the rules quickly to avoid eye-glaze. She picked it up well enough to zip in and steal the central objective with a hoverboarder, flatten a third of my team with supporting plasma fire and then zip away again before I could return fire. She even snuck a juve round the side to tie up my heavy guns with a cheap charger, so I feel like I must have made something clear.
However, after a full hour, she'd had more than enough. "I don't want to annoy you, so we can finish this turn, but I'm really not enjoying this," she said. I'd had a blast, though, and I think she was more entertained than she expected, especially when she got to substitute her champion plasma gunner for a favourite anime statue.
Seeds planted for later? Who knows - I'm kind of proud that my kids don't particularly enjoy my weird hobby, but even prouder that they're willing to tolerate it cheerfully. They both ask about what new models are and what they represent in game, and Krakenette minor can both identify a Squig and appreciate their awesomeness.
But now, back to the painting station!
Love the Centaur, completely unnecessary and perfect for you. I completely understand your joy at the game with your daughter, as you say: either she’s interested in gaming or she’s mature enough to understand and enjoy what someone else likes…or both!
ReplyDelete