Monday 15 May 2023

The Blob

 


My Nurgle Daemon army has always been something of a sideshow to my other Nurgle-based lists. But now it's got a proper leader...


Pootle here with a (relatively rare) painting update. I've (obviously) always liked the look of the Great Unclean One and now I've finally succumbed to the temptation. The official paint scheme is a little too clean for my liking, so I decided to try to blend multiple colours together (something like I did for the Jabberslythe I did a while ago but going for a blotchy look to show different stages of bruising and decomposition rather than fading different colours from top to bottom).

I started by spraying it Death Guard Green, then painted most of it with Zandri Dust before going back over sections with Death Guard Green (and a little bit of Castellan Green, not shown on the pic below), Steel Legion Drab and Rakarth Flesh, with Averland Sunset for the boils and fat deposits.


I then covered it with multiple layers of washes: almost everything got Nuln Oil, Agrax Earthshade and Seraphim Sepia, with the yellow bits missing out on Nuln Oil. The green areas got Beil-tan Green and Athenian Camoshade, the fleshy bits got Carroburg Crimson and some patches of rotten flesh got  Druchii Voilet.


Then I highlighted up with Death Guard Green, Straken Green and Nurgling Green on green bits; Tallarn Sand, Ushabti Bone and Flayed One Flesh on the brown bits; Karak Stone, Ushabti Bone, Scream Skull and Pallid Wych Flesh on the bone/horns.


Lots of lovely details all over him - just painting the maggots took some considerable time (and most of that was just finding them).


Naturally I've magnetised him so he can have any of the heads or weapon options. This one is Rotigus...


I do like the head on this one.






8 comments:

  1. Magnificent! Painting anything that size is quite an accomplishment - that will make a great centrepiece.

    Were the magnets easy to do? The joins look seamless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The magnetisation was extremely satisfying and easier than normal: I didn't have to drill any holes but glued large (6mm) magnets to the inside of where the head and hands attached, then filled up the inside of the heads and hands with bits of old sprue and then green stuff so the magnets aligned nicely with that satisfying thwack of plastic on plastic

      Delete
  2. Yaaaay Fat Man!

    Love the model, love the paintjob. Easily the best looking of all the Greater Daemons, you just can't beat that cheery grime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! There's something rather iconic about the Bloodthirster, but the GUO has always been my favourite going right back to the very early days

      Delete
  3. I’m super impressed by the panting and your long-serving commitment to magnets. Well done mate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I don't often get compliments for the panting but every bit of positive feedback is nice ;-)

      Delete