Tuesday 16 May 2023

A Fistful of Xenos

It's been a busy time for hobby, and I've been doing everything except keep up with my blogging!

Ymgarl Genestealers

This is my Hobbypocalypse tally from March and, in the spirit of mixing it up every month, this time I'm painting up my surplus xenos. No army planned for these guys, but they make great antagonists for random scenarios - which is the kind of 40k I'm playing these days.

Ymgarl GenestealersYmgarl Genestealers

The classic genestealer sculpt is as ubiquitous as it is unloved these days, but I'm a sentimental type, so when Sultan Plays (check out his YouTube for some great painting techniques) kindly donated a clutch of genestealers and their broodlord, I had to paint them up.

Ymgarl GenestealersYmgarl Genestealers

With sixteen genestealers to paint, I was going for speed. I started off with some zenithal highlighting: primed with black, and then hitting the highest points with grey, followed by white.

Ymgarl GenestealersYmgarl Genestealers

That left them open for the Contrast paints to finish the job:
  • Carapace: Celestium Blue
  • Head and hands: Magos Purple
  • Blades and claws: Black Legion
  • Tongues: Volpus Pink
  • Eyes: Yriel Yellow (the only non-contrast paint, and the only bit I had to take care with)

Ymgarl GenestealersYmgarl Genestealers

The result was sixteen models painted in a single batch that would pass muster at tabletop level. I could also see myself easily cranking out this scheme in army-swarm levels (not that I would - despite the new releases, I'm still not moved to collect Tyranids).

Ymgarl GenestealersYmgarl Genestealers

With such efficiency on the models, I felt I ought to expend a bit more effort on the bases. I wanted them to have a 'space hulk' feel, and I had lots of sector imperialis bases to accommodate them (on 32mm - only a sadist would put genestealers on their proper 25mm).

Ymgarl GenestealersYmgarl Genestealers

The bases were also fairly straightforward: prime with Leadbelcher, pick out the details with Balthazar Gold, and wash with Agrax Earthshade, adding some slime blobs of Nurgle's Rot.

Ymgarl GenestealersYmgarl Genestealers

The hazard areas were fun to do: a base of Averland Sunset, with the streaks added in Black Legion contrast (which makes freehanding in black so much easier - would strongly recommend). A wash with Agrax Earthshade and it's done.

Ymgarl GenestealersYmgarl Genestealers

The Broodlord, being a more important bug and a superior sculpt, got more attention but the same basic techniques. I added to the zenithal spraying with some drybrushing, and added some dripping slime effects on the base with Bostik All-Purpose.

Ymgarl Genestealers

On the other end of the xenos evolutionary tree, I'd picked up a pair of Crisis Suits a while ago. Again, with no intention of starting an army, just to paint some nice models.

T'au Crisis Battlesuit

I decided to go with a 1980s theme of big, bold clashing colours. Starting with a white base, and Apothecary White contrast, I then picked out the details with orange/purple or pink/blue respectively. I started with fairly dark colours and then layered up as light as I could.

T'au Crisis Battlesuit

I didn't want to paint the guns in the same style, and was a bit stumped on what colour they should be. In the end, I settled on gold and black, since that fitted into the look of them as 80s action figures.

To continue the distinct look, I also put them on sector imperialis bases (too small for their official size, but they'll never see competitive play).

Kroot Hunter conversion from Blackstone Fortress

And finally, a cool little character piece. I had a spare Kroot Hunter from the Blackstone Fortress set, and replaced with with the 'squid head' from the genestealer kit. I'd deliberately not used the head among the genestealers, so he'd look unique.

Ymgarl Genestealers and Broodlord

And that was my batch for March: a lot of models painted for the sheer joy of it, and none of them will see an army (this feels like the way forward for me).

6 comments:

  1. I do love the classic colour scheme for the Stealers. Thank you for the tips on this as I do intend to start a Nid army with tenth so having a quick way of painting hundreds of bugs will be very helpful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - look forward to seeing yours!

      Delete
  2. The best quick way to paint hundreds of bugs is to not start collecting Tyranids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A glorious array of models. I particularly love the tau. Where’s the rollerskate party and matching outfit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably stolen by those mean school bullies in their convertible.

      Delete