Thursday 18 May 2023

Coronation Streak

There was a regal theme to my painting over the last month, as is only right and proper, since it bookended the Coronation of Charles III (Electric Boogaloo)

Roboute Guilliman


A couple of Regents to begin with. The final issues of the Imperium magazine left with some Roboute Guillimans to paint up. One of them had to be done in a week, to appear in the 5 Primarch battle report, so there's wasn't time to be intimidated by the sculpt.

Roboute Guilliman
Roboute II

As it was, I needn't have worried. Painting Thousand Sons has left me impervious to gold trim armour. 

I started by by priming Gulliman with Retributor Armour (with a Seraphim Sepia wash and Gehenna Gold drybrush to have it looking right), then cut in the details with Celestium Blue contrast, which was dark enough to cover properly, and flowed easily enough to make it less of a chore.

With that, the job was mostly done. I layered the blue with Macragge Blue, added in the details, and that was it. Twice.

Roboute Guilliman
The Blues Brothers

Something else I needed for the battle report was a Death Guard HQ who was lowly enough to be submissive to Mortarion. Luckily, I'd kitbashed a Chaos Lord a while back, based on the Age of Sigmar Lord of Plagues (still quite a reasonable cost - don't tell GW, they've probably missed it).

Lots of diseased skin and armour, and my usual Death Guard recipe. He was lots of fun to paint - despite having to get him ready in less than a day.

Lord of Plagues conversion

And a lowly commoner was painted alongside him - this was just to make my only squad of Plague Marines legal in 9th Edition (mine were designed for 8th, and had too many plasma guns). It's the flail of corruption - always a favourite. It looks like I converted it, but it's been in the painting queue for so long, I don't actually remember.


And back to actual fantasy for the last few models. My kids requested that we spend the day of the Coronation playing a king-themed game of Warhammer, which meant I needed a few more kings in my roster.

A long-anticipated model was the Warden King from the Age of Sigmar Duarden, although I bought him because he was originally Belegar of Karak Eight Peaks in Warhammer Fantasy lore (one of my earliest and favourite stories).

He's all armour and beard (I miss painting dwarves), although I did away with his back banner, since I think it draws attention away from his magnificent crested helmet and curmudgeonly grimace.

Warden King from the Age of Sigmar Duarden, and Belegar of Karak Eight Peaks

The final king was a limited edition Abhorrant Ghoul King from the Flesh-Eater Courts. I don't have a ghoul army (though the temptation has been strong), and he seemed such a natural match for my Moria Goblins, that's how I painted him (a Hobbit campaign is not impossible, so I'll need a Great Goblin).

Abhorrant Ghoul King from the Flesh-Eater Courts

And the three-way kings battle was a great success - both newcomers acquitted themselves well, but it was the veteran Wight King who took the crown of crowns.

8 comments:

  1. A regal procession! I can confirm that you did kitbash that Flail of Corruption from the regular Plague Marine kit: it's based on the one holding a Great Plague Cleaver (the head of which you've moved to the Chaos Lord). I can't quite believe that you painted two RGs in quick succession!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those Gullimans are pretty much identical. Great job on the flame swords too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! Only three more and I'll have the squad done.

      Delete
  3. Now you've said it, I reckon Ultramarines are basically the same as Thousand Sons. Someone should be told.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gulliman would approve of my use of spreadsheets to keep track of my psychic phase.

      Delete
  4. The blues brothers! Perfect caption.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Astronomicon is down ... and we're wearing sunglasses.

      Delete