Wednesday 17 May 2023

EXT: Banks and Braes


 The terrain train keeps on trucking!


The Elven Woods box came with a number of Elven Hills as well - four sculpts times three, for a nice little broken ground. Good looking as ever, although I must say I wasn't totally won over by the grass/plant moulding. It's a bit cartoony, maybe? Looks good with little effort, though, so I can't really complain. 

There's a small tuffet, two medium longer ones and a big fat one, which you can balance the smallest one on quite neatly.

The big one has a spring trickling down the rocks, which is a lovely touch!





Lots of washes, contrast paint and drybrushing here. No amount of laziness could allow me to leave all three clones identical, so I've got a spring set, a late summer set and a winter set. Been a while since I did snow, I feel like my mix was a bit too thick, but it looks fine either way. 



I stuck a bit of extra flock, leaves and twigs on here and there to help add verisimilitude. And then daubed thick snow all over it so you can't tell.

More on the table already, of course, but I feel I need a break first. 


8 comments:

  1. I love the one with the little stream. Very nice detail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lovely, but I don't like having it three times over - loses some of the impact somehow. I covered it over completely on the winter one, and I'm still fiddling with putting water effects on the summer one, just so it stays different.

      Delete
  2. They look good, but I can't get a sense of how big they are: the bits of grass you've added makes me think they're a bit on the small side - looks like they might block LoS for infantry but not big enough for a Rhino to hide behind? Still good to have down on the table of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were deliberately designed to be smaller than the average model, apparently, so you won't lose sight of your characters during a roleplay session!

      In 40K terms, the smaller ones come about half-way up a Space Marine, the bigger ones pretty much mask infantry and would block line of sight. I reckon they're scatter at best, really, or padding for the inside of a wood. Which means I still need a good big hill at some point...

      Delete