Friday 4 March 2022

Watch Out, White Cliffs Of Dover

There's clearly a cathartic theme running through my model painting this week.

Tzeentch Lord of Change for Warhammer 40k and Warhammer Age of Sigmar

And this one's the biggest of the lot!

I love the Greater Daemon of Tzeentch (small surprise there!) and I've coveted the model ever since I first got into Warhammer. It was that small metal one, that I was too intimidated to paint.

Still scares me a bit, to be honest.

Nonetheless, I took the plunge and bought myself the new Lord of Change, as a Christmas present to myself (the kind I hand to Mrs Stylus and say 'give this to me'). But big models are not my strong suit, and the anxiety only gets worse when it's the army centrepiece that I've always wanted.

Tzeentch Lord of Change for Warhammer 40k and Warhammer Age of Sigmar

Predictably, the model got built and primed, but sat gathering dust for years. I managed to get a preliminary wash and drybrush on it (Macragge Blue, Nuln Oil, Calgar Blue) but progress ground to a halt.

One of the restricting factors was I'd tried to follow the Warhammer Tutorial (which worked great for my Magnus the Red), but I found trying to replicate the 'box art' a bit stifling.

So when the time came to ditch all that and just get going, I just went with my gut. The wings were a combination of overbrushing Macragge Blue, Screamer Pink, Pink Horror, Emperor's Children Pink and Ulthaun Grey - no real technique in there, I just got them all on my wet palatte, mixed them together and went for overbrushing/drybrushing.

Tzeentch Lord of Change for Warhammer 40k and Warhammer Age of Sigmar

Karak Stone, with Screaming Skull layers for the underbelly. Averland Sunset Yellow and Agrax Earthshade for the feet and beak. Gold and silver metallics, and then plenty of Moot Green / Hexwraith Glow OSL effects.

I even used the green magical streak along the base, with the ground cracking either side, just to show how he's mutating the landscape.

Tzeentch Lord of Change for Warhammer 40k and Warhammer Age of Sigmar

Finally I can see the back of him! A really rewarding model, that took less than a week, and was tremendous fun once I'd finally get going with it. (I should probably learn from that - but I probably won't).

3 comments:

  1. Yay! Great to see it in full colour, and that flaming streak is a lovely touch. Great Unclean One next?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm confident I could smash through the Great Unclean One in a week.
      But the Keeper of Secrets would be exquisite torture.

      Delete
  2. This is such a cool model, and beautifully painted - the multi-coloured look is fantastic. I once had one of the original Lords of Change that I'd built into a mini-diorama ripping apart a couple of marines (another in the "lost" batch of larger models); the wings are such a great focal point.

    ReplyDelete