Friday 18 February 2022

INT: Dwarven Lumber Room

 

Pillars. Why is it always pillars?



Last year, I remembered I'd stuck all the fantasy themed Dungeons and Lasers scatter terrain away in a box because it wasn't much use for Necromunda. There really wasn't much else to paint. I am literally going to be doing the bottom of a barrel in the next batch. 

If I could take my pick, I would.

First, however, all the bits that looked like they could be done as dark stonework, possibly with snow on for things one might find on my snowy ruins boards. 

Insert Tad Williams reference here



Very nice details, as ever - even the tiny stone tables have carved sides or authentic-looking cracks. Perfect for your abandoned dwarven dungeon, of course, but also generic enough that you could use it anywhere. If I'd gone for brighter colours, marble and gold, for example, ideal in a heroic castle. 





I went a few extra layers on the snow effects this time out. Alternating spray varnish and Krycell powder gets this nice crusty finish you see here. It's a bit fragile, breaks off in chunks if knocked, but worth it for the look I think. This is four applications. You can just keep going with it, basically, get deep drifts that you can press bootprints into if you have some kind of appropriate stamp. Lots of ideas on their website

I love this portal. It's surprisingly small (original power armour marine size), it would have been even more amazing if it was massive, but still very cool.



There is an idea in the back of my head somewhere of getting some more town-style ruins for the cobblestone board. Mordheim type stuff, either the Hobbit Laketown houses or the excellent stuff from TT Combat's Savage Domain range. Some of these bits, like the fireplace, would make great interior dressing for that. It's an idea for another time, though (and another house! I have no space!). 

My youngest daughter told me off for this - apparently during some game or other, I'd promised to paint the lumps in the cart as gold. Back to the drawing board.

The varnish isn't dry in this photo, but it will hopefully pass muster. 

Until then, some of these bits are going to gather dust. Not quite sure what to do with the gateway or the tunnel entrance, for example. A diorama, maybe? Anyone got any ideas?



No comments:

Post a Comment