Monday 28 February 2022

Bye Bye Black Bird

 All together now ... 

Black Legion Heldrake for Warhammer 40k

Dracarys!

After the first one took me almost a year, I couldn't image I'd ever want to paint another Heldrake. But the lure of an eBay bargain, and the spur of an upcoming battle report swung me into getting another robot dragon.

Black Legion Heldrake for Warhammer 40k

This one came already assembled, which helped to speed up the process. Also, I'd learned a few tricks in the years since painting the last Heldrake, and I managed to get this one done in a week!

Black Legion Heldrake for Warhammer 40k

As the first time-saver, I primed the model in Retributor Armour, then washed it in Agrax Earthshade and drybrushed with Gehenna Gold. 

After that, most of the job felt done, other than filling in the panels - the Heldrake is notorious for having a lot of these, and the reason I picked this up second-hand was because the previous owner had clearly made a start with the trim and despaired.

As it turns out, it was much easier with black (I used a mix of Chaos Black and Black Templar to get a nice flow without sacrificing coverage).

  • Gold trim: Retributor Armour base, Agrax Earthshade wash, Gehenna Gold drybrush.
  • Panels: Chaos Black/Black Templar base, Thunderhawk Blue dry stippling.
  • Belly armour: Iron Hands Steel base, Nuln Oil wash, Leadbelcher drybrush.
  • Cables: Iron Hands Steel base, Volpus Pink contrast
  • Green glow: Ulthuan Grey base, Hexwraith Flame wash, Moot Green drybrush, Ulthuan Grey drybrush, Yriel Yellow layer


Black Legion Heldrake for Warhammer 40k

Unlike the subtle flame on the other baleflamer, I went big on the OSL for this guy, and then again for the energy bars on his belly - I'm enjoying Moot Green at the moment!

Black Legion Heldrake for Warhammer 40k

And that's done! Can't wait to run a Double Dragon list!

3 comments:

  1. That looks great! Every time I see one of these, I get really torn between wanting one and not wanting to paint one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd rock and Alpha Legion green dragon.
      It's the only brew for the brave and true...

      Delete
  2. Lovely model that and I do like the green glowing mouth!

    ReplyDelete