Monday 5 April 2021

The Importance of Good Hydration

 


That's the last of my short burst of resin - it's Lernean Terminators!


Not an easy thing to say over and over, that. The Lerninators are ancient Horus Heresy kill teams. The fluff says nobody knows about them because they always kill everything they deploy against, so nobody is left to do the identikit poster. Hopefully, this translates into some kind of auto-win rule on the table, but as I don't play 30K, I'll never know. 

Lots of parts to this kit. Lots of small parts! The first one just about went together with superglue, but it was tricky and flimsy. After that experience, I drilled and pinned all the joints for the others. 

You might say the assembly had a steep Lernean curve

Instead, these will make nice shiny Terminators for my Alpha Legion. The Volkite guns they've got will double as combi-plasma well enough, and power axes aren't a bad shout either. The heavy has a conversion beamer, a gun whose description and rules made it an early favourite for me, back in the days of Rogue Trader and 1st Ed Space Hulk. 


It turns mass into energy, but the beam needs space to focus properly. So the further away you are, the better it works, and the bigger you are, the bigger the explosion it turns you into. Hilarious! But not something you see on 40K tables much, or something you can equip modern termies with, so this will pretend to be a heavy flamer. 

He likes to hear the Lernintation of your women.

No sergeant model, which I guess is very Alpha of them. Maybe they're all sergeants. Maybe you're their sergeant after I say this activation phrase. No need for any freehand or transfers, though, which was a relief - it's all moulded on, and very nice it is too. 


The usual paint for the Twentieth, so some nice shiny colourshift paint. It has come out nicely over a change in basecoat (polished blue metallic from Vallejo) and some gloss varnish, but it doesn't want to appear on the photos despite my best efforts. Sunlight seems to bring it out best, and I don't do well in that. 


These are going to be an expensive terror on the battlefield (especially once they grow their third wound, GW, cough cough), but I'm very much looking forward to bringing them to a game! The Alphas are just over 2000 points now, so basically as complete as I'm likely to get them. But I may yet squeeze another model or two in. No spoilers, you'll have to wait and see!

3 comments:

  1. Nice, I like the darker Alpha Legion scheme these have rather than the sea blue FW scheme

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I quite like the GW scheme, to be honest, but I can never take the easier route when there's a chance to overcomplicate things. These guys are also lighter in real life than the photos, they're very reflective, but my camera skills don't reflect that!

      Delete
  2. Look great Mr Kraken! I love the Conversion Beamer - that takes me back! They're lovely models (I've not heard of these guys). I would dearly love to see the shiny paint scheme in real life one day...

    ReplyDelete