Wednesday 17 March 2021

None but the Braven


Blood Bowl!

Left to right: Yorrick, Boney M, Berty Brae and Pelvis Deathsley

There's a plan afoot on the blog to start a little league of this splendid game (the usual social distance provisos apply, of course). Seeing as I don't have a copy of it but know a man who does, and being an over-excitable type, the next step was obvious. Buy a team and paint it! 

Wight Shultz and Barry

The Undead teams always appealed to me. There's just something extra funny about zombie linesmen, somehow. After a bit of wavering to and fro (Ogres are also ridiculous, Wood Elves are known to actually win games), I chose the Shambling Undead. These might be my team, but they aren't going to be my models.

Ted Houisded, Fred Deddrop, Ned Moulders, Zane Doe and Eustace B Breethin

Stylus originally started this blog, and he's the man who does all the backstage work and promoting of it. I just write here. He's also the man with the copy of Blood Bowl's latest edition, and as we've been blogging together for ten (glorious!) years, I reckoned he was due some kind of trophy. 

Happy Ghoulmore, Razzle and Charles D'Ghoul

These are the Nevermore Ravens, then, and have been packed off to their new Stadium at Stylus's house where I can blame his luck if they lose. They are based on a real team, colours-wise, and I'm sure they'll do just as well as their counterparts in any league they take part in. 

The Black Pharoah (BP for short)

King Stankh XL


A Blood Bowl team can fit sixteen on its roster, but the kit only does fourteen. GW, you shameless money-grubbers! Still, nothing that a bit of ingenuity can't fix. I've added in an extra Ghoul, which is just a Reaper Bones cast done in the team colours. One rising zombie with a tombstone completes the gang, clutching one of the spare team balls, then a few very small conversions (zombie missing an arm, zombie holding its head) and the team is full. If I have the costs right, it's dead on the starting money too - sixteen players and no rerolls is exactly what I should be running with my luck. 


Now all that's left is to actually learn the rules and play a game! Something I haven't done with models since I was fifteen, although I have played the recent computer version enough to be familiar with it all. Bring it on!


4 comments:

  1. Thank you - it was an absolute thriller to receive them and I'm sure we'll be playing Blood Bowl twenty-eight days later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Until i lose, then the game will be left 4 dead.

      Delete
  2. Oooo, they look great! I'm intrigued as to what the hands reaching out of the earth do

    ReplyDelete