Friday 19 March 2021

More Blackstone, Vicar?

I finally managed to paint some Blackstone Fortress!

Blackstone Fortress Ur-Ghul

It just wasn't my Blackstone Fortress...

The whole set is being divided up between a few members of the hobby group, so I put my hand up to paint the Ur-Ghuls, as well as the Ministorum duo. These all struck me as fun to paint, and I privately hoped it might light the fire for me to get my own set started (although I have been freely poaching models for my 40k armies).

Blackstone Fortress Ur-Ghul

Painting the Ur-Ghuls was the definition of simple-but-effective: basecoated with Grey Seer, then a thinned wash of Nihilakh Oxide (I have to Google that spelling every single time).

Once dry, an all-over drybrush with Ulthuan Grey, staining the hands and non-face with Druchii Violet, and picking out the teeth with Ulthuan Grey again. Simple and fun.

Which was a good thing, because the character pieces were no picnic.

Blackstone Fortress - Pious Vorne, Missionary Zealot
Fun fact: 'Vindictor' is High Gothic for 'Next time, just paint hazard stripes'

Pious Vorne, Missionary Zealot started off with a black undercoat, then a Leadbelcher drybrush to pick out the details and I went from there:
  • Skirt: Khorne Red base, Mephiston Red layer, Fire Dragon Bright highlight
  • Skin: Rakarth flesh base, Reikland Flesh wash, Pallid Wych Flesh layer
  • Pipe: Jokaero Orange base, Agrax Earthshade wash
  • Boots: Dryad Bark base, Carroburg Crimson wash
  • Parchment: Ushabti Bone base, Seraphim Sepia wash, Screaming Skull layer
  • Metal details: Balthazar Gold
  • Chainsword: Averland Sunset base, Agrax Earthshade wash, Black Templar lettering
  • Flames: Averland Sunset base, Cassandora Yellow wash, Yriel Yellow layer, Troll Slayer Orange layer
So nothing massively complicated, but the model is quite small (now I've gotten used to Space Marine scale), so the whole thing was painted through magnifying goggles.

And that went double for writing the name on the chainsword - although I did find that Black Templar contrast was much better for that fine-detail work than regular acrylic.

Taddeus the Purifier - Blackstone Fortress
"...He said I AM Baby-Eating Bishop of Badab!"

Although when it comes to fine detail, Taddeus the Purifier took the biscuit. Several of them, by the looks of him.
  • Robes: Grey Seer base, Apothecary White contrast, Ulthuan Grey drybrush
  • Trim: Retributor Armour base, Reikland Flesh wash, Golden Griffin drybrush, Akhelian Green for the rose
  • Pink robes and mitre: Screamer Pink base, Carroburg Crimson wash, Pink Horror layer
  • Maul and servo-skull: Leadbelcher base, Nuln Oil wash, Black Templar shade
  • Pouches: XV-88 base, Agrax Earthshade wash, Balor Brown layer
  • Purity Seal: Naggaorth Night base, Nuln Oil wash, Genestealer Purple layer
  • Book: Ushabti Bone base, Seraphim Sepia wash, Screaming Skull layer, Wyldwood text

Taddeus the Purifier - Blackstone Fortress

So rather than spurring me on to paint more, these guys actually sated my appetite for character models! Still, they were nice to paint, and I managed to pour a lot of effort into them.

Back to the Hobbypocalyse grind for me! (Episode #2 drops this weekend for DZTV subscribers)

4 comments:

  1. The new Drukharii army box has slightly tugged on my heartstrings, not least because those urghouls have excellent stats in 40k! Lovely job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cracking work on those BF guys: they look really crisp

    ReplyDelete