Wednesday 24 March 2021

Overwhelming Flyerpower


Strafing? Run! 

Long overdue reinforcements for the Tempestus Scions this time. And more flying resin! 


It's a Forge World Vulture Gunship, the heavier cousin of the Valkyrie. Mostly in terms of actual weight, the fusilage is a solid resin block and not the lightest. I fear for the future of that flyer stand...


Smasher of a model, though. The big jet intake must give the pilots nightmares every time they climb in, but it gives the jet a slimmer, more ominous appearance. A real carrion crow, this one. 


What with this being a commission reward, I went all out and got the massive rotary cannons for under the wings. Now, in game terms 40 shots is clearly going to intimidate anyone, but bear in mind that about half the shots will miss. BS 4+ does it no favours, and there are no bonuses for strafing runs any more (this used to balance out the fact that it got -1 to hit from movement, so it's for the best. Same adjustment for the Valkyrie, I note with interest!), and as it's the most expensive gun option, there's really a strong case to be made for taking rockets and missiles instead. 


But just look at them! How can you say no to a pair of guns that can obviously cut a car clean in half in less than two seconds! Magnets were clearly an option, but drilling resin is a bridge too far for me, so this baby gets the gatlings, and will have to be NQWYSIWYG if it wants anything else. 


Pilot: Flight Lieutenant Kaytra 'Trojan' Tzarkastis
Co-pilot: Flying Officer Magni 'Ace of Skulls' Jaukes

Decals from Green Stuff World, here, although I did do the name in freehand. I also went back and updated the Valkyrie with a couple of unit markings and pilot badges, so that she wouldn't feel left out. Very tempting to get carried away and do tons, but I mostly resisted. 

Pilot: Squadron Leader Tobyon 'Heron' de Walles
Co-pilot: Flying Officer Sensh 'Scorpion' Soffiore

New decals on the nose...

...gun bay doors and weapon pod...

...but I'm still proudest of the original freehand!

The nose gun on the Vulture is my favourite bit. It twiddles round on a peg, so I had to do teeth all the way to the back of the turret piece. You can give it a smashing lopsided grin while you fire the heavy bolter sideways. 


Really looking forward to trying this one out. It gets the Scions up to around the 1500 mark, and that is where they are likely to stay. There's nothing I'd want to add that would really make sense apart from more troopers and Tauroxes, and I don't really fancy painting them. Besides, they ally well with Inquisition and Assassins if they ever need to bulk up. 


A quick leftover from last time is this Archon sentry gun, I forgot to do the motion tracker screen. More resin still to come, but those Necromunda bulkheads are calling me...



5 comments:

  1. These two look really good, well done! I love the weathered effect you've got.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Dead easy, just a bit of grey sponging over the edges.

      Delete
    2. Oh, well, if it was dead easy then I take it back - it looks awful... ;-)

      Delete
  2. Throne preserve us, and I thought *one* of them was hard to deal with.

    ReplyDelete