Friday 19 February 2021

INT: Hydroponics Bay

 


All sorts of stuff grows in the Underhive, some of it deliberately.


When I was building last year, I got a bit stuck after the initial rush of inspiration had worn off. Asking about for ideas, General Rapid suggested doing some hydroponics, and that struck me as a fine idea. 

Left to right: Rosy maze cap, Devil's Scrote, Cheese Pie Puffball, Speckled Melteye and a Hiver's Frilly Bun

Some time later, this is the result - a little growth rack attached to some drilling machinery (because everyone knows mushrooms need drills) and a couple of trays of crops under a light rig. They're crops, okay? Just don't ask for any more specifics than that, and nobody gets shot. 



Leftover plastic plants from the jungle project stuck into upside down fantasy cavalry bases, those are, with a bit of sprue stuck to half a bulkhead door from one of the older ruined imperial building kits, then decorated with whatever odds and ends of stuff I could find. 


You need to water plants, so I made a water tower from more chopped up Necromunda kit plus an empty ginger shot bottle from the local coffee shops. It's full of Crycell water effect resin, which meant having to gluegun it firmly shut after the resin was in so that I could leave it upside down to dry for two days. The waterspout is a spare gargoyle from the Archon scenery kits, as is the coin slot. It's top heavy, I may yet find a wider base for it, but it's pretty well balanced for now. 


More Archon stuff - a portal from Dungeons and Lasers, a handy objective marker. 



While I was doing all this, I thought I might as well carry on trucking through the rest of the Zone Mortalis tiles, so here they are. Nothing scratch built here, sadly, but I thought I'd need a couple of plain ones that I can then arrange the modular walls and towers on. 













And because I needed to play about with some, I painted enough of them that I could stick together a board's worth of stuff. The other Mechanicus walkways sneaked into this lot too, so not a bad haul after just over a week's worth of painting!

Here it is altogether for a test build. Good test, but the conclusion is that I still need more bits.

Time for a break after all that. Side project!


8 comments:

  1. Looking fantastic as always - particularly like the mushrooms!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is brilliant - love how this Underhive is taking shape.
    (what about a map and a guided tour?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see you're a Fallout fan as well. It makes a nice touch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! I did like a bit of Fallout back in the day, good stuff

      Delete
  4. Absolutely amazing work, the details are giving it so much character. Loving the hydroponics and the water. Will have to pick your brains for when I get to my Squig farm feeding station. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work! Loving the water tank, it really fits in and is well done.

    ReplyDelete